Thread: speedo cable

Blog Entries

Default speedo cable

I have a speedo that is doing the "death dance", anybody replaced a speedo cable? Just how flexible do you have to be?
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

It is fairly easy to install. Take instrument panel out and follow cable through fire wall. It is sometimes attached to tranny or tranny tunnel by some small connector. It will end at the tranny. Both ends screw off fairly easily. Maybe have some PB Blaster for the tranny connection. I replaced one, but I do not remember the cost. Depending on how bad the cable is, you might get away with spraying some silicone down the cable at the instrument panel.
    As for being 'flexible', you will need to be able to bend over into the engine bay.

After doing mine, I think I could replace one without pulling the instrument cluster. It's not a huge pain, but the biggest bitch was getting the new one stabbed back into the clips along the firewall. Well, that and the fear of busting the gauge hood. I didn't need any PB Blaster on mine, and we didn't need any on Todd's parts car - that connection usually stays finger tight. :)

Let me know if you need any consultation/help...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Not all of us have access to trained capuchin monkeys.

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Me thinks you have a strange obsession with these little monkeys...
    '92

I replaced mine on the '97 without pulling the cluster. Picked up a cable at Mazda Heaven for $10.00.

As previously stated, the hardest part is getting the cable in the clips along the firewall. In my case I wasn't able to, no big deal. However, it was a lot easier once we blew the tranny, then I was able to get the cable in the clips with the tranny removed
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Kreegah Bundolo!

Real easy to replace even if you take the instrument cluster cover off. NO nut at the speedo end, just a push on connector, the tranny end screws on/off.

Blog Entries

I went by the Mazda house today and inquired about the cable. $99.00!!!! I guess the speedo will just have to wiggle until I figure something else out.
    Stripe Das Sape

Mine wiggles at low speed...... should i be worried?

What is this death dance......

Blog Entries

speedo needle wiggles and bounces over bumps. means the cable will die sooner or later. I think I am going to try one of the universal inner cables and leave the sheath alone. Still thinking though.
    Stripe Das Sape

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I replaced mine last summer. It can be a one man job. The clips on the fire wall are a b*tch for a fat fingered guy like me. The right tool (3' crow bar) will make it easy. My gauge hood was already broken, so I removed the guage cluster to reach the speedometer cable. I got my new speedometer cable and a new gauge hood from Mazdaspeed.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    Mine wiggles at low speed...... should i be worried?
    Just wait till it starts singing...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    I went by the Mazda house today and inquired about the cable. $99.00!!!! I guess the speedo will just have to wiggle until I figure something else out.
    As stated before, $10 at Mazda Heaven. Mine gave me no notice at all, it just died one day. BTW, once it goes the CC quits working
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    You compete enough to get a Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development membership. Parts sell at dealership cost and shipping is cheap if you can wait for UPS Ground.

Edit: You'll want to confirm the part number, but NA01-60-070B is priced at $55.11. I just found that number with a quick google search.
    Last edited by Darron65; 02-13-2009 at 01:19 PM.