Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy new battery local tomorrow

Default Looking to buy new battery local tomorrow

I need a new battery that has enough juice to handle my stereo, foglights, heater, and start my NA reliably all in the cold, so I was wondering if there is any one in particular that everybody gets for our car or if I should just take whatever they try to sell me at Autozone. Thanks.
    John O.
    94R

I believe autozone does sell one. Batteries plus has one as well, but you might check the dealership and see what they will charge as well. They run about $90 at autozone if I recall correctly.

Just make sure you buy a battery that has the hose connections on it for the vent/drains.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

If they battery I was looking to get from autozone or wherever didn't have the vent things then doesn't that mean that battery doesn't need them, I thought it was the specific OEM battery in the car that required the vents not any battery that we could put int he car.
    John O.
    94R

Most all car batteries have vents, even if they are called Maintenance free. The exception is a gel cell battery, such as an Optima brand.

If you get one without the hose connections to drain/vent off the acid, you run the risk of having acid eat up anything left in your trunk. If it does leak acid, it will eat up the floor of the trunk.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

OK, will do, thanks.
    John O.
    94R

+1 for the Autozone battery... I can't remember the brand of mine but it works great and has a decent warranty.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

You have 2 REAL choices in a Miata:

AGM battery from Westco (or Auto Zone/O'Reilly's if they still have that type)
    Optima Yellow or Red battery (It's AGM type too)

The OEM one from the dealership really isn't a good choice anymore since it's lead-acid now. At least it has the vent tubes so it's a better choice than the cheap lead-acid ones from various car stores.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

The last one I bought from autozone had the vents on it.

Its been working fine.

I just recently purchased O'Reilly's version of the AGM. Fits perfect, has the connection for the vent tubes, and works like a champ.

Caution!, The Autozone is a non-AGM and neither is the Mazda one.
    I have pics somewhere of the one that exploded in my trunk.
    No warning, just hit the key and BOOM!...Hawaii Five-O style and in my garage to boot.
    Scared the schit out of me!

OOO'Reily has the AGM, and its cheaper than 'Zone.

Go with the optima. I had a red top in my old car, and it was a workhorse. It was the fastest cranking battery I have ever had. The OEM one on my Mitsu had me wondering from day 1 whether or not the car would start because of how powerful the optima was, lol.

The current O'Reilly's battery is AGM and cost $99 (some people on the pointy board say it is the same as the Westco battery, but I did not verify). My current battery is good, but I did have the original battery replaced under warranty because it would not hold a charge. I would recommend removing the alternator to have it tested.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

OPTIMA, especially if you have a lot of extra draw from stereo gear and such. They were buit with off-roading in mind,a nd are extremely durable, not to mention the better power. The yellow top is all the battery you could ever need and then some. Worth the higher price, since it will probably outlast the car.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Thanks for all the great info guys!

I think since the general concensus is that the OPtima will work and shouldn't exploode and is a nice powerful premium battery then I will be okay with paying the extra money for it. I will decide either Red or Yellow based on price but does everyone agree that the Yellow should be enough for me with the Red being just for the sake of why not have more than enough power if I can afford it.
    John O.
    94R

I found out that the yellow top is a deep cycle battery (which performs best when fully discharged and then fully charged) and is better suited for boats and people wanting to play their stereo in parking lots, I am neither so I will be looking for the red top today. If anyone was wondering the type of Red Top we need for our cars is the Red Top 25 which is the standard top post only Red Top
    Last edited by JuanoTejano; 02-23-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: specific type of red top for our cars
    John O.
    94R

Red top is a great battery.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Been years since I got my red top... how much is it running you?

Price is $150 everywhere I've found it local and online.

I didn't buy it yet though, I'm not sure if it is my battery because the car dies while driving which points to alternator but I think I read on m.net that the miata alternator can't charge the battery if it gets so low, and I've yet to give the battery a full day charging.

I did take the battery to autozone to get it tested and while I didn't know the correct cranking amps (I guessed at 400, while in reality the cold crank amps of my WestCo is 475, so I don't know how accurate the test would be) the test said good battery but low charge. So what I'm doing now is letting the battery charge for a good long time and looking up how to check the status of my alternator and potentially see how much that would be to replace.
    John O.
    94R

Blog Entries

Get a voltohmmeter and make sure that the voltage is over 13.4 with the car running and no electrical acc. on...and that the voltage doesn't drop below 12.5 with the lights, stereo etc. on. If that checks out then the alternator is OK. Mine runs about 13.8v.

I have had several batteries that Vatozone said were OK and weren't. However, if the car is going dead while running you have some other issue. First make certain the battery posts are clean and that the grounding straps are there and making good connection. That's why I installed a voltmeter in the car. Saves guessing.

I am running the standard Autozone battery. Let me know if you need a hand.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Installing a voltmeter may not be a bad idea after I get this alternator swapped over. I noticed that in your car and I thought it odd that you had only 1 guage and it was a voltmeter, but I suppose this is what I get for doubting your reasoning.
    John O.
    94R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast