Thread: Sway Bar thoughts

Default Sway Bar thoughts

I'm going to upgrade my fronst sway bar on my 92, and I'm looking for thoughts ont he choices. I was leaning towards the Racing Beat solid bar, since the price is great and I'm not too concerned about it being slightly heavier than hollow.
    I also saw that FM has a couple of used aftermarket bars intended for 94-97 for half the price, but they are 1" bars. Is that too big for a mostly-stock AutoX setup? I'll be running Azenis' and KYB AGX's, but all-stock beyond that.
    Also, I do plan on using the beefed-up FM mounts for whatever bar I buy.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I use the RB Hollow but I personally think it has too much understeer. (With stock suspension, at least).

But, the solid won't be as bad, so I'd say go for it.
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

I ran a 1" FM bar on the front of my '99 Sport for years and liked it, YMMV.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I liked my FM 7/8ths on my 93. I am now running a RB hollow, but it is too early to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I ran a 1" FM bar on the front of my '99 Sport for years and liked it, YMMV.
    +1, it's what I'm currently running.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I think the hollow bar produces too much oversteer in an NA with stock suspension. I'd stick with the 7/8" solid.

I liked the 7/8" FM bar on my 93LE
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I assume you are looking at front only because of Stock class autocross rules? When you upgrade the front bar only, you go from a well-balanced setup to one tending to understeer. Use as much front bar as you want but make sure you see an alignment guru like BAM! afterwards. I put the big RB hollow bar on my NB and he tuned most of the understeer out of it. I'd say ultimate grip is better but it is not as easy to find now. If I knew then what I know now, I would not change the bar until I could prove it was limiting my car's performance. Even now, most days the problem is the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Great input. Thanks. I do plan to get a full autox alignment, which is why I thought I'd replace the bar now. Food for thought.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

What's a nice alignment spec to get to compensate for a bigger bar up front?
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

Quote Originally Posted by bmcreider View Post
    I use the RB Hollow but I personally think it has too much understeer. (With stock suspension, at least).

But, the solid won't be as bad, so I'd say go for it.
    add more horsepower.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

That seems to be a rather expensive solution.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I think the hollow bar produces too much oversteer in an NA with stock suspension. I'd stick with the 7/8" solid.
    Did you mean to type oversteer? General car dynamics are that stiffer front rollbar induces understeer and a stiffer rear rollbar reduces understeer thus causing oversteer. So replacing just the front bar with a larger (which=stiffer) will cause understeer.

*note, Oversteer is when the rear of the car slides towards the outside of a turn, just like me in my avatar picture. And understeer is when the car "plows" meaning the front of the car drifts towards the outside of a turn. - Just had this dispute for second time with the father! lol He keeps getting it backwards so just making sure we all on the same page!

I picked up a front bar from a soon-to-be-Spec car many years ago for mine and have yet to get a rear bar for it and even with a track alignment my car had some noticable understeer.

...even before I cooked the different pads I tried out!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...