Thread: whats your opinion on this...

Default whats your opinion on this...

So i got the new wheels, but before that i had noticed that the car had started following grooves in the road a little more. now with the wider wheels it's a pretty noticible difference.
    So i am wondering with the addition of a badly needed allignment would you guys suggest a STB might help this problem?
    Seems like it helped that problem on my 99.
    Been wanting to get the GW rollbar too.
    99 Miata Black

It's only 3 am... you are still too drunk to tell if the girl laying next to you is good looking. Sober up and get an alignment. If it is still doing it, then post up.

'08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

get the alignment. the alignment is the first thing autocross guys do to improve their car. the stb might help a little but think of the bill on new tires in a few months from the bad alignment.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    It's only 3 am... you are still too drunk to tell if the girl laying next to you is good looking. Sober up and get an alignment. If it is still doing it, then post up.
    Yea Titus!

I don't think an STB will make a difference in this situation.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

You are experiencing what is known in the AX world as trolleying. I comes with a proper AX alignment. If you don't AX (ahem) or you don't like this, get a standard alignment.

Titus FTW
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Alright i will try an alignment.
    Seems like it quit before when i added the stb in the 99, but since i havent had an alignment since putting the teins and wheels, and front sway bar on maybe it's finally time...lol i know i know
    99 Miata Black

Yep an alignment is #1 priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    I don't think an STB will make a difference in this situation.
    It won't.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    You are experiencing what is known in the AX world as trolleying. I comes with a proper AX alignment. If you don't AX (ahem) or you don't like this, get a standard alignment.

Titus FTW
    I think it's actually called tramlining. And yeah, titus FTW!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Prolly an alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Yes it is called tramlining.

Billy,
    Get the alignment. Be aware that some tires are more prone to tramlining more than others. Pay attention to when it is pulling to see if there is a groove or crest in the road surface.

What tires are you running?
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I am still running the stock Michelin precedas, they suck in the cold but really arent too bad in the heat, but then again every set of tires have their issues.
    I just haven't had a chance to get over to see AJ.
    I asked around for some Auto X alignment #'s some time back and didn't get what I needed to take the car somewhere closer....so I have just been driving on it.
    Since I only have around 8500 miles and the tires arent showing any uneven wear I havent really made it a huge priority.....maybe cause I want new tires.
    Anyway the extra half inch seems to have pushed it over the edge. I remember noticing the same thing in the 99 but I had so much stuff on there to stiffen in up it eventually went away. This was even after an alignment.
    I need to raise the car around an inch all the way around before I get an alignment though, it's sitting a little too low for some of these country roads.
    Thanks for the suggestions i will start with the alignment after getting it raised up a bit.
    99 Miata Black

Remember how well it all worked when it was stock?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Remember how well it all worked when it was stock?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    It is called tramlining where they have trams

Either way, it means the car follows ruts in the road like TROLLEY follows its tracks.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

You haven't got an alignment since we put the teins on??? Billy you know better!

Also didn't you have a STB (shock tower brace)? I thought I remember Gary drilling holes for your front adjusters in an STB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    You haven't got an alignment since we put the teins on??? Billy you know better!

Also didn't you have a STB (shock tower brace)? I thought I remember Gary drilling holes for your front adjusters in an STB.

yeah I do but it's the OEM swingset STB.
    Honestly the car has handled great after the Teins, always went stright down the road.
    I gotta raise it up a little anyway before I do it now, that b&*ch is slammed...lol I hate to see what condition the back end of the midpipe is in.
    That is the lowest spot on the car.
    99 Miata Black