Thread: Looking for tire suggestions.

Default Looking for tire suggestions.

I plan on doing more autocrossing this year and I will also likely do a couple track days with Apex/Track Dog/whatever.

I'm quite the noob when it comes to tire selection as I've always just autocrossed/tracked on my street tires. Yesterday's autocross shed some serious light on the fact that without good tires I'm going to continue having trouble putting power down.

I've got a spare set of RPF-1's that I want to put some good rubber on. I don't have a tire trailer and don't plan on getting one, so it'll be a situation of driving to the track on the same tires I will race on for the most part.

The wheels are 16x8 +38 and my fenders are rolled very well to fit my street wheels/tires - so I'm fairly certain I can fit some chunky rubber. I just don't know what would be best. I noticed that the closeout on RE-01R's is still on and they're dang cheap in 225/50-16. $59 each is attractive. Good option?

For the record - I'm not trying to be super competitive in SSM. I just want to be able to use more of the power I've got.

Driver

Those RE-01Rs are great tires for AutoX tire classes. At that price they are a steal. They'll do ok on the road course too.

Those tires are going to be a bit tall for an NB. Stock tire size for a '99 is 195/50-15, 22.7" in diameter. These are 24.9" in diameter, so the car is going to sit over an inch higher off the ground, and your gearing will take an almost 10% hit.

A 225/45-16 would be a better size. Heck, even a 245/45-16 is shorter (24.7" OD), and should fill out that 8" wide wheel better.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I've got 225/40-16 T1-R's on the RPF-1's now which, if I recall correctly, have an extraordinarily close-to-stock circumference. The problem being their performance isn't *that* much better than the 215/40-16 S-Drives that are on the wheels I ran yesterday.

In all honesty - I could actually USE the extra 10% gear ratio from a taller tire. I was on the rev limiter at the end of the first "straight" yesterday and almost at redline on the second one (where the track crossed itself). I will eventually swap the 4.10 rear out for 3.93 gears. But until then it actually might help me out.

I think the T1-R comes in a 245/35-16 which I know would fit. Maybe I should try those out? But I'm not sure if they'll be grippier than the 225 wide RE-01R. And I know for sure they'll be at least twice the price.

I have T1R's and think they would do poorly for autocross since they require warming up to be effective.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it, but it's your car. To me, the degradation in CG and transient response aren't worth the potential slight increase in ultimate grip.

$59 a tire is a great deal, but I really think they're the wrong size for your application.
    Last edited by altiain; 03-16-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I hear ya. I just have to figure out which tire that comes in a 225 or 245/45-16 would be good. It seems like there is a good selection of competition rubber in those sizes. But I'm not sure that's a road I want to go down just yet.

Would 265's fit comfortably?
    Kumho makes their new Ecsta XS in 265/45/16 and 225/50/16 at $179 and $118 respectively.

I would think you'd wanna put as much width down as possible, especially for FI AutoX.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Don't think 265's will fit. And if I were to do 225/50 I'd get the $59 RE-01R's