Thread: Electric water pump

Blog Entries

Default Electric water pump

This is just for the sake of curiosity. I hear of so many drivers eliminating the P/S and A/C from their cars leaving only the water pump and alternator to be belt driven. It makes me wonder if there is an electric water pump available that could be used along with a coolant reroute to leave the alternator the last man standing. You could then of course have the alternator cut out at full throttle leaving only the belt drag as a load on the engine. Just wondering. Anybody think the horsepower gain would be noticable? I realize the extra load on the alternator would negate a lot of the gain of eliminating the water pump, but you would lose the belt/pully losses and prevent overdiving the pump at high RPM allowing the battery to power the system until you backed off the throttle. I know of systems for other cars that also eliminate the thermostat and use a controller to vary the speed of the pump. Thoughts?
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Electric water pumps have been around for a while.

Had a buddy back in the day with a Camaro that we ran an electric pump on for a while, it was fine for drag racing which was about all that car did.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66225BK1/10002/-1

I did the same thing back in my drag racing days. Worked fine for 11 second runs! I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile for extended operation, but then slowing the pump might be a lot better for cooling, since you could reduce the cavitation that occurs at high RPM. Alternator is easy. Put a switch in the excitation line to open it up when you need more power.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

there are a lot of street driven muscle cars with pro motors that use electric water pumps

not exactly daily drivers, but close

have seen a bunch of them driving the 2000 mile Power Tour route each year

mostly SBC and Fords
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

I don't think the cost/hp gained would make it worth the money or time.

FI FTW.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Also have to consider the weight of the electric pump vs the mechanicaly driven one. Meziere does make some pretty nice pumps and I think they had one for the RX-7's.

Depending on the configuration an adapter plate could be fabbed up and a fully external electric pump could be used inline to the radiator. It's speed could be controled via a temp sensor to eliminate the thermostat and it's inherent flow restriction.

Possible pumps include
    Stewarts
    Aerospace Components
    Meziere
    Meziere radiator mount

To take it one step further would it make sense to dump the ignition coils in favor of a magneto to eliminate the load on the alternator? Less load on the alternator vs more load on the engine.
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 03-12-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

The one I used on my darg car was a heater blower motor, mounted on a bracket just above the water pump(small block Chevy) with a single belt drive. It was great for cooling it down between runs.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    To take it one step further would it make sense to dump the ignition coils in favor of a magneto to eliminate the load on the alternator? Less load on the alternator vs more load on the engine.
    Where would you mount the magneto and drive it off what? There is no room where the CPS mounts, drive it off the front of the cam? Magnetos take a lot of energy to spin, TANSTAAFL. I have some experience with electric pumps that mount in place of the belt driven OEM's, I realized that I hadn't seen one for a Miata and was wondering why. I understand how the Miatas cooling system got to be the way it is, why they didn't change it is beyond me.

I'm just fussing because I ordered the nine! hose set and I am not looking forward to it. I already replaced the heater hoses and I am waiting to heal up from that. I bought them first so I should have the heater hoses from the new set for sale soon if anyone is interested.
    Stripe Das Sape

I found the heater hoses to be the hardest, so it is down hill from here.

Hey creek once your acronyms reach more than 6 letters it's probably better to just type it out and save us all the trip to google.
    John O.
    94R

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuanoTejano View Post
    Hey creek once your acronyms reach more than 6 letters it's probably better to just type it out and save us all the trip to google.
    I thought all you nerds would be big Robert Heinlein fans, just wanted to see who wasn't.
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
    Stripe Das Sape

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

That sounds like the first law of thermodynamics, You can't get something for nothing.

The second law of thermodynamics says you can't even break even.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

A lot of 3rd gen Dodge Cummins owners were resorting to electric water pumps until someone figured out snipping one of the blades on the pump did the trick to keep it from pushing too hard and blowing the freeze plugs out of the block... That would qualify as streetable. OTOH, there's a lot more electricity to spare in that system...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton