Thread: Startup Procedure

Default Startup Procedure

This may a question for POS. What it the start up procedure for my (another) Miata which have not started for 5 months. Before the storage I have added Seafoam as fuel stabilizer, new oil and disconnected the battery. What I have to or not to do, to start the car the first time to minimize any damage? What I have to look for during the first drive?

Thanks,
    Gab
    Gabriel

Talking

Well on the '94 (that sat for about a year) I pulled the plugs then I squirted a bit of oil in each of the cylinders let it sit overnight. Then with the plugs still out I turned it over with a socket on the crank to make sure it was not seized. Then with the plugs still out I turned it over with the key. Need to go get plugs this morning to finish the process.

But on yours since you have a better idea of the history, I'd think you would be OK just starting the car.

Anyone else agree or disagree with me??

YMMV

Just 5 months, I'd just crank it.

These cars are not as open to atmosphere like old Carbed V8's, so not as huge deal.

My 1.8 had been sitting 5 years and I shot a little "Deep Creep" in each cyl, and it fired right up.

If you were afraid its stuck, use a bit of transmission fluid for a week.
    Then push/pull in 2nd gear.
    That worked on 3 engines for me, a 235 Chevrolet, Triumph TR-250, and a MGB.
    The Truck had been in a pasture and TR had been sitting in a hanger for 15 years ea.

Everyone has there own snakeoil, I guess its what the old motorhead you learned from used.

+1 to what Rogue says... just crank the beast up. 5 months isn't that long.

I used to use my RX-7 as my "summer car" and my BMW as my "winter car" since the RX had working A/C and BMW would overheat in the Texas heat. At the end of each one's "season" I would park them with a full tank of gas to keep the condensation out of the tank, then just let them sit till it was go time again. Never had a problem getting either one going again.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

You said you disconnected the battery. If it hasn't been charged it may be weak. I have a portable jump starter and a battery charger if you need to borrow either one let me know. Everything else should be fine.

I am going out to fire it up now. Thanks! keeping my fingers crossed. Nails, thanks for the offer. I have a charger and one of those portable battery.
    Gabriel

The battery was dead. Lucky I have the portable battery. It fired up after 5 to 6 turnovers. I guess it was actually good because it give a chance to get some oil to everywhere before it fires up. Once it fired up it ran perfectly. Only a minor hesitation for a fraction of a second. The only noise I don't understand was there a whistle sound which lasted for 3 seconds. The tires were 7 lbs low. I let the car warmed up and charged up the battery while I aired up the tires. It was warm and toasty when I took it out for the first drive. It drove perfectly, except the tires were flat spotted! It was like driving Flintstone's mobile! I am glad how it turn out. Hope that I did not damage anything and tires will "round" themselves out over the next few days.

Thanks guy!
    Gabriel