Thread: Bad Slave Cylinder?

Default Bad Slave Cylinder?

Hey guys,

I was taking the Miata for a quick drive around Wylie last week and before I could get out of the neighborhood, the clutch would not fully disengage.

While in Neutral, I had to pump the clutch a few times to get it in 1st gear. I had to do the same thing when going from 1st to 2nd, etc... I adjusted the pedal but obviously that didn't work. It gets worse as the car warms up. When it's cold, it's not as bad.

I also noticed a FEW fluid spots on the garage floor.

I assume this is a bad slave cylinder? Any other thoughts? How would I know if it was a clutch master cylinder problem?

I've already ordered a new slave and plan to replace it Saturday, along with changing all fluids while its up on stands.

Thank you all for any input...

Sounds like a bad slave, but in my experience, it's best to go ahead and replace/rebuild both the slave and master at the same time.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Is clutch reservoir fluid low? Turn the front wheels full left and look in the right front fender well. You'll see the slave cylinder down below. Give the rubber boot a squeeze and see if fluid comes out. Common failure.

Wow, I forgot you existed. How are things? We had 3 LE's at Keller's last Wed. Hope to see you out some time.

Start with the slave and go from there. My master lasted a lot longer than the slave.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Thanks all..LOL (sharpie)..almost got rid of it, but remembered how much fun these are.. I'll check all and check back in.. Hey, if those in Wylie/Plano gather on Weekends, let me know... I'll be glad to show up!!

Almost sold it for a V8....just couldn't bring myself to do it..

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Is clutch reservoir fluid low?
    The fluid reservior is not low...thoughts here?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jmcshiner View Post
    The fluid reservior is not low...thoughts here?

Thanks again,

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Is clutch reservoir fluid low? Turn the front wheels full left and look in the right front fender well. You'll see the slave cylinder down below. Give the rubber boot a squeeze and see if fluid comes out. Common failure.
    Keep going your doing fine! Try the next step and see what happens when you squeeze the boot.

More good stuff here -> http://www.miata.net/garage/slavecyl.html

no fluid from the boot of the slave. I would assume this is now a clutch master cylinder problem?

I found the slave and master were replaced when the clutch and flywheel were changed out about 3 years and 3K miles ago, the fluid has been flushed since replacement. Unfortunately, I didn't replace the slave today (as there was no leak and it was actually pretty clean), but did go ahead and bleed the hydraulics. Hopefully, there was just some air in the system. Figured while it's up I would go ahead a change Diff, Tranny, and Turret fluids. I'll find out tomorrow what the haps is when I take it for a drive.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Good job. Keep us posted.

Good news
    started it this morning (while on stands), let it warm up. Held clutch to the floor while in 1st and no rear tire rotation at all. When releasing the pedal, I had about 1/4" out when tires began rotating. So there is definitely a need to adjust the clutch pedal rod I assume.

Bad News
    FM Exhaust runs right underneath the fill bolt for the trans and I can't freakin get to it!!

I guess there was air in the lines. Clutch disengages and engages just fine now. Shifts MUCH better with the flush of the turret..

Thanks for everyone's input. Really appreciate it. Guess I'll just keep the replacement slave cylinder around for the day I do need it.

See you guys at a GTG soon... Just need to inspect and register first...

Regards!!