Thread: Tonneau cover

Default Tonneau cover

Anyone around here have a Tonneau cover??

Was thinking it may be an alternativce to replacing the top on my '94.

Looking for a used one, or just want comments from owners? All of the 93LE guys have them.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Looking for a used one, or just want comments from owners?
    Yes!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Does your '94 have the snaps on the dash near the windshield? I wonder if those can be installed without removing the dash and/or the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Does your '94 have the snaps on the dash near the windshield? I wonder if those can be installed without removing the dash and/or the windshield.
    I have a '96 dash sitting in the garage... just checked and the plugs for the snap holes pop right out without having to access it from the under side. I would assume that the installation of the snap is the same, but I could be wrong.

Looks cool but is it??

I wonder about the everyday practicality of the tonneau cover. In my youth I had one on my TR6 but I was working and going to school so didn't run with passengers very often so the passenger side stayed fixed. Since I am the school bus for afternoon pickup of the kid I wonder if this would be more of a PITA than it would be worth???

I plan to press the '94 into service as a daily driver with the nice weather we have been having and let the 4Runner rest.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

I have one. It's perfect for going solo: about as much effort as the soft top, but with the advantage of concealing the cockpit. But PITA for 2-up is right -- even though it's miles ahead of the TR6 tonneau.

Installation: the dash posts/snaps are self-tapping, and the plugs are just covers for the holes while unused.

The tonneau is not rainproof: as water collects, the tonneau sags in the center, and water seeps through the zipper.

Aren't you gonna need a soft top anyway to be legal for your A/X class?

Thanks red! Figured someone around here actually had and used a tonneau cover.

I wasn't going to pull the softop that is on it but the rear window may need some work. This is the way it looked the day I rescued it...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The top itself didn't look too bad when I saw it. A new plastic rear window should be fairly cheap.

PS
    303 FTW!

Needs more duct tape, It'll be fine
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I use my tonneau all the time. Red is right about the seat being a PIA to adjust all the time. Maybe if you got the Moss one like in the first picture, you wouldn't have to mess with the seats so much. The OEM one requires you to move the seats all the way forward and then recline the back, to cover the cockpit. I love mine and get lots of thumbs up when I have it on.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Love the tonneau! I think they add a little class to our cars.
    I use mine whenever possible.
    ...and again, the seat adjustment...yeah.

For use in rain, add a dowel between the trans tunnel and seat and up to the zipper area to prevent pooling. It's not perfect, but it's better than an open cockpit.
    Do you have the bits to attach the cover to the mirrors? The OE parts can be a little interesting to come by as I understand it.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates