Thread: Star Trek is pretty awesome...

Default Star Trek is pretty awesome...

I never thought I'd say that, especially since I can't stand "Lost" (J.J. Abrams) and I've checked out on every Trek movie since "Undiscovered Country" (VI?).

But what to my wondering eyes did appear late Friday night? A kick-ass space movie with all the right characters, minimal obnoxious "science" talk, great writing, a really hot Uhuru, a frisky Scotty, and a really conflicted Spock. If they're going to milk this for five more movies, I'm in... for now... unless Data and Blind Kunta Kinte make ridiculous cameos somewhere down the road. I'm glad they let new kids play with the old characters and give the thing some back story.

Thumbs up!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I nominate this to be Rick's new avatar.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Well played, KITT... well played...

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    unless Data and Blind Kunta Kinte make ridiculous cameos somewhere down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

I vote this:

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Its on my must see list but I try to avoid opening weekends. Saw Wolverine this weekend.

I was VERY leery, and not interested in seeing it until I paid attention to a commercial for it and saw that they cast Zachary Quinto as Spock. That has got me interested, so I will probably check it out.

Have to admit I'm not a big Star Trek fan but I went and saw it and like it.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

I thought the folks cast for all the big parts were great.

But X-men 3 was the shite!
    99 Miata Black

They did an excellent job of casting. The dialog between the cast members was spot on too...

The best casting was for Scotty and Bones. They even had a couple of quotes in there from the old series when Bones called Spock a "Green Blooded Hobgoblin" and said "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"

It was easily the best movie of the franchise since the Undiscovered Country. (Movie # 6.)

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Chassis Designer

I caught this movie on the Friday matinee, and I really enjoyed it. I watched the old series a bit on reruns as a teenager and I instantly recognized the characters as they were introduced. Uhuru was SMOKIN hawt. Spock was GREAT. Scotty and Bones took the cake though. By the end of the movie, they'd sold me on Kirk as well.

I wish they'd taken 10 seconds to explain wtf "red matter" is and how it can create a singularity. Just a touch more "science" in the science fiction movie would have been appropriate, but yeah, they didn't kill you with nonscence fake science to justify warp drive and transporters, except where it served to setup a punch line.

Even for those who have never enjoyed Star Trek, it's a good movie. A girl I work with saw it with us and said she wanted to go back and watch some of the other movies now.

I saw it on the IMAX Saturday night. I loved it.

The new Doctor was my favorite character with The Spock kicking some ass as well.

Awesome Cast, great story and not too much CGI (within reason for the story).

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Saw it the night i came out and I have to addmit I was being sceptical as to weather the move was going to suck, but I actually really liked it. They did a nice transition into the first series by introducing the main characters. I think they did a nice job of try to make it apeal to a wider audience, while still providing lots to tie ins into the original series and ganra.

X-Men on the other hand was horrible. First half of the movie was pretty cool with the whole introduction into Wolverine and Sabertooth. But the second half went to poopoo land. Characters that were never in the comics, and scetchy plot really killed the ending.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP