Thread: Help with a roll bar.

Default Help with a roll bar.

How mandatory is the famous 12inch drill bit to put in a roll bar? I'm putting in a Boss Frog single hoop this weekend. Also any suggestions or tips not in the instructions?
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Blog Entries

Black and Decker makes an 12" drill bit extension that works for any drill bit up to 1/4" shank that holds a regular bit with a couple of set screws and sells for a couple bucks. Available at Wally World so it's a lot easier to find than a long bit.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Good idea, I don't mind buying tools, I just want to be able to use it more than once.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

I bought a cheap-ish 12" bit for my roll bar install, and we pretty much ruined it after drilling the required holes for one roll bar. But, hey, it was only $15 or so...

And, yes, you will need a long bit (or an extension) to drill the vertical holes in the rear deck. Your drill motor will not clear the roll bar down-tubes.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Home Depot sells the correct size bit. It's about $10 or so. Buy it and lend it out as needed for other folks installing roll bars.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I'm pretty sure Westlake ACE has that bit, plus it is close to the house!

Hurry up with the pictures already!

May not be this weekend, having an emergency at work! Ah yes, the best laid plans...
    I may try just getting it mounted sunday then do the detail work through the next couple of nights.
    My old 99' My new 99'

Emergency over!

The seats are out there is no turning back..

I may put out an emergency call tomorrow!!
    My old 99' My new 99'

Are you taking it to the TDR@MSR event?
    ...and across the line.

Nope, it would be a great first time event for me and sounds like a lot of fun while being very informative, but Mrs. Silver and I are heading to Tennessee for the in laws 60th wedding anniversary and will be gone for about 10 days. Besides, my Dr has not released me to even be driving a stick yet with my hand after the wreck (Hay I have to get to work some how) but still I should probably not be out on a track.

Anyway...

OK the 99, is all stripped and ready to set the bar in. The only tragedies were two of the smallest trim fasteners, they will still snap in place, but a piece of the head broke off…no biggie.
    Never having been involved in an install before, I’m assuming (oh-boy) that the drill points will be fairly obvious once I get the first bolt or two in. Mrs. Silver should be able to help me set it in, but everybody listen for a yell from the Basswood/Riverside part of Fort Worth tomorrow just in case!
    My old 99' My new 99'

I haven't installed a Boss Frog but I have installed numerous Hard Dogs.

If the Boss Frogs are anything like them, you want to do the following.

Before you drill any holes, make sure all the other bolts are in. Get each one started first and then torque them down after that.

Once all the existing bolts are tight, then you will drill the other holes.
    ...and across the line.

+1...

If it mounts to the seat belt towers, then get that done first. I got mine that far by myself on a Saturday morning. Once you've got it nailed down there, then drill your holes and crank it down the rest of the way - you'll need a buddy for this part to back you up as you tighten those bolts.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Some pictures:

Getting started

Stripped down

Starting to look good

This was an important test… The top still goes up and down!

If you will excuse me, I still have some drilling to do.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

Ken
    My old 99' My new 99'

It’s been along day, but worth it.

My new desk top shot.

My old 99' My new 99'

Blog Entries

That looks great! I have one of those clearviews sitting in a garage waiting for installation. Is that the standard (hardtop) or the Maxx?
    Stripe Das Sape

It's the Maxx. I'm still going to get padding and a cover, but there is lot's of head room.
    It was my first install and it went pretty easy, the initial bolts lined up with no trouble. I was expecting the drilling to be more difficult than it was, they went like butta! The last time I drilled through sheet metal it was a Dodge Ram Charger, just a tad thicker! Over all I'm positive with the outcome.
    It was definitely a two person job in some spots, Mrs., Silver was a big help, she used a socket for the first time, went at it like a pro!
    My old 99' My new 99'

Nice job! That's a really nice bar... looks like the view out the back is a little better than mine.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Blog Entries

I didn't buy the padding and cover either. I thought their prices were unreasonable compared to Hard Dog. The single side, self adhesive SFI padding can be bought locally (Smiley's racing) and I am going to try sewing my own cover.

http://www.smileysracing.com/cat/vie...530&pgID=1322+
    Stripe Das Sape

Good tip on the padding. I have been thinking about only padding the corners and the area behind the seats, leaving the center open.
    My old 99' My new 99'