Thread: Planning on painting my calipers and had an idea

Default Planning on painting my calipers and had an idea

Instead of painting them and the calipers that look rough and cast ( but painted) what about shaving down the casting marks with a dremel and making it smooth looking then painting it so it looks way cool and so much better or have I gone around the bend . .. ... again?

I consulted with Rory at work, and he said ask you guys, but it sounds good to him.

Rich

I guess you could smooth out the castings if you wanted too but why not just paint them?

How many folks to you anticipate getting on their hands and knees to peer thought your rims to exclaim, "Look Lorene, he ground the high spot off his calipers and smoothed them off!"

who knows, but sometimes it's the little things that I notice and I'm sure others might too.

Rich

Plus I would take them ( brackets and calipers) off the car and do it.

Should be fine, but you MUST have more time on your hands than I do. I'm just happy to have pads on.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I got bit by the mod bug but I'm not blessed with a lot of $$ but I also like things to look good and my time is not worth much hence the thought

Rich

I had a 3rd Gen Rx-7 with powder coated calipers. It looked cool and I got a lot of compliments. (previous owner did the work)

So here are the draw backs. Powder coating keeps it's color when it gets dirty. Not sure the paint will stay shiny for long. Ask some people that HAVE painted.

So it is time to wash the car and the wheels. Yep you got to wash the calipers too. If you have wheels with openings large enough to get to the parts it is not to bad.

But being a clean fanatic I still took all the wheels off and cleaned them and the suspension about 4 times a year. I put on very few miles a year. Not a daily driver.

Just wanting to let you know that "show" has the responsibility to "shine". It is your car do what every you want....my 2 cents.

Default Re: Planning on painting my calipers and had an idea

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatafreek
    what about shaving down the casting marks with a dremel
    FWIW, I wouldn't mess around with the integrity of my brake calipers.

YBrakeCalipersMV.
    It won't hurt the integrity of them if you're just taking off the high spots.

I wouldn't powdercoat them if you ever take your car to the track. Powdercoat starts to get really soft at around 350*F. Brake dust sticks to it very easily and it'll look like crap. Use a high temp paint designed for calipers instead.

i painted the calipers on my previous car and after a year they still looked very nice. all i did was rince them off with the hose during a wash. the paint will however hold in more heat than an unpainted one.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    I painted the calipers on my previous car and after a year they still looked very nice. all I did was rince them off with the hose during a wash. the paint will however hold in more heat than an unpainted one.
    Thats a good point.

Also, don't use the 1200* paint unless you plan to drive the car really really really hard within a few hundred miles. It doesn't cure fully until it reaches about 600* and will stay soft until that point. It feels dry, but brake dust will stick to it. I would use the 500* stuff for a street car.

Crazy question, does anyone have a dremal? I will buy the Bits

rich