Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSR 10th anniversary!

Default MSR 10th anniversary!

For those that aren't members, this Saturday marks ten years since we opened the 1.7 at Motorsport Ranch. I say "we", 'cause I had been working with Jack for just about a year, from the first dirt being moved, to the asphalt, tower, covered grid, and the first garage being finished. It was a hectic opening, as Jack was out of town and I had to put together and organize all the documentation, forms, and membership cards for all the pre-paid members. If I remember correctly, we had forty-three regular members and eight executive members.

Although, I resigned several months after the opening, the concept flourished into what it is today. I am proud to have been a small part of making it happen. Although I don't get out there much anymore, I still consider MSR to be my home track, and it's cool to say I was the first paying member, #1001!

If you want to join us this Saturday, find a member and ask to come as their guest. There are at least twenty-five on this site, besides me, who already has two guests.... It should be a fun time: free track time on the 1.7(members), lead and follow on the 1.3(guests), t-shirts, food, and champagne after closing the track at 5PM. I will be there with Sunny and the #55SM who just happens to be for sale, if anyone is interested in a competitive racecar
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Mad Merv,
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing that little morsel about your and MSR's history. I have enjoyed MSR for a little over 5 years now, the first 3 years as only a participant and the last two years as an instructor. I always wanted to become a member and missed out on the 'special' that was available a few years back. Now that I live in Cleburne, 30 minutes away, I am at the track for many DE's. MSR was my nemesis when I first started. I picked up TWS fairly quickly and resigned myself that TWS would be my favorite track. Well, that changed with all the track time I get at MSR. Now that I actually know what I am doing in my car, I realize just how fun it is to drive a Spec Miata right on the tail of many higher HP cars. MSR is truly a driver's track. It has taught me so many things about driving. Blind apexes, off-camber curves, decreasing radius', high speed corners, etc. It took me many tries blowing the entrance into Rattlesnake (CCW) before I finally got comfortable. I personally am thankful, for the sport I love second only to my beautiful wife, that Jack and people such as yourself took the risk and challenge to establish such a classy park.
    Hope to meet you one day,
    Alan

PS. How much for #55?
    I am thinking I will force-induce my Spec Miata for DEs and buy a spec miata that may already have a crinkle or two. Ask Iain about my car. I just do not want a dent in it yet!! I built it up from a street car.......

Sounds like fun!
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Man how time flies. I think I first drove MSR in '01, and I'm still learning something about the 1.7 every time I drive it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Are you sure about the lead and follow on the 1.3? Didn't see that bit in my invitation...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

After Merv resigned, he spent the next months organizing Miatas at the Ranch in March of 00'. Two day track event for miatas only. He put many hours into that for the miata community. It was my first time out at MSR and I had no idea what my car could do.

Thanks Merv! Congrats to Jack for 10 successful years.

Thanks to Gary with TDR for continuing to get the rest of track time over the years with his "focus" days.

The Ranch as come a LONG way!!!!!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

lead and follow on the 1.3(guests) lame =(

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    Stay home if you don't like what they offer, but don't be a hater.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Try This http://www.motorsportranch.com/membership.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    if msr was the only track in driving distance i would have gotten a membership long ago. but it's like beautiful women, why limit your self to just 1?

if msr was the only track in driving distance i would have gotten a membership long ago. but it's like beautiful women, why limit your self to just 1?
    'cause more than one and you increase your chances on contracting HPV!!

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    'cause more than one and you increase your chances on contracting HPV!!
    that's what the expensive rubber it for, not only does it give you grate grip in the corners, it protects you from picking up teh hivy.

If any members are going and would like a guest, I certainly would be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Mad Merv,PS. How much for #55?
    I am thinking I will force-induce my Spec Miata for DEs and buy a spec miata that may already have a crinkle or two. Ask Iain about my car. I just do not want a dent in it yet!! I built it up from a street car.......
    It's a '99 and just built a year ago. It's got all kinds of silly(to me) gadgets that the owner likes to play with, but it's also got all the good stuff for a '99 New valve springs a month ago and not a thing wrong with it. Not even any dents......$14,500.
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

that's what the expensive rubber it for, not only does it give you grate grip in the corners, it protects you from picking up teh hivy.

The expected crowd is great enought that I have been told it is members only on the 1.7; some guests on the 1.3

Should I wear my Members Only jacket?
    Speed

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Should I wear my Members Only jacket?
    Screw the Members Only jacket. Needed some Pampers today. Not much of a casual member's session...more of an all-out display of horsepower and testosterone. Saw passes in places I've never seen passes before...
    Speed

We had so much fun, and more track time than we could use........ Thak you Jack!

Default hot day at MSR some paddock photos

Hey gang i figured I'd pass these along enjoy...or not.. which ever. More on next post...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zig; 09-22-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast