Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi. I'm a Mac....

Default Hi. I'm a Mac....

As a designer by trade, I've been using Mac OS exclusively for the last...oh...13 or 14 years. I have only touched Windows on very rare occasions.

Just bought my wife a HP laptop (she doesn't like change and Windows is what she's used to). Vista can bite me. That POS has frozen, hung or crashed more in the last week and half we've owned it than in the 2.5 years I've had my latest Mac.

I work in marketing, so I always took those Apple commercials with the Mac and the PC with a grain of salt. Entertaining, probably partly true, probably exaggerated. What do I know? I haven't used Windows much since 1996.

Hell no. They're so accurate it's scary.

That is all.

Default and I'm also a Mac!

Driver

I'm a windows 7 RC 1 and it works like a freaking champ.

The HP is infected with bloatware that HP installs. A clean install of Vista SP1 would likely run like a champ unless you bought it with too little ram.

My wife has a HP laptop running Vista that we bought last summer. I wanted to remove all the preloaded crap, but she wouldn't let me. Even with the bloat, it hasn't crashed. I run XP on my computers and it runs like a champ. Now back when I ran 95/98/NT4, it was crash city.

VISTA SUCKS!

I run XP on my laptop. More than once, I have considered making it a Hackentosh.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I remember when my TRS-80..........
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I love my PC. Of course every computer I get I wipe and reload with what I want on it and nothing else. Probably why mine run trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I love my PC. Of course every computer I get I wipe and reload with what I want on it and nothing else. Probably why mine run trouble free.
    I would go this route if it was my machine. But since it's used for web and email only - it just needs to be *mostly* reliable. Which it is. Barely. :)

Then again, if it was my machine it would be a Macbook Pro.

I've disabled (not removed) all of the built in HP crap that it came with. Annoying.

Patiently awaiting the release of Win 7.

Driver

wow... a $2000 machine (macbook pro) to surf the web and type email. Sounds about right for Apple.

If that was the case, you should have gotten her one of the numerous netbooks out there for $300 or so and she'd be set. Heck, I've used my eee to do development work in a pinch.

love vista. i have had no prob with it at all(besides the backwards compatibilty thing).

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin
    wow... a $2000 machine (macbook pro) to surf the web and type email.
    I believe the term is "you suck at read"...

Quote Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
    As a designer by trade...
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
    ...if it was my machine it would be a Macbook Pro.

I prefer apples to worms...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

I love my 6+ year old toshiba satellite running xp. does everything i need it too. Can't stand the GF's new HP that is loaded with Vista and tons of other shit. I wasgoing to replace this laptop with a 900 series EEE pc, but instead bought a new battery for the toshiba. Roomate got the EEE for himself and loves it; it is his primary computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    I believe the term is "you suck at read"...

Oh no, I know how to read. I inferred that while this machine was for his wife since she prefers windows, he would have gotten a macbook for the same purposes.

Now obviously a hard coreish machine (although I'd argue that a mbpro is vastly overpriced) for a designer is not uncalled for.

Here here, OEM OS installs are the suck

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverzero89 View Post
    love vista. i have had no prob with it at all(besides the backwards compatibilty thing).
    The only comaptibility thing that i had with my Vista can really be blamed on Creative's crappy driver support for their sound card.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    The only comaptibility thing that i had with my Vista can really be blamed on Creative's crappy driver support for their sound card.
    My EPROM programmers and my photo printer aren't supported under Vista.

I had BAD problems with crashing but it was all hardware related. The HP computer I have had a bad motherboard AND Intel released a duo core CPU with bad microcode. Once those problems were fixed it's been a decent system.

But, I did upgrade it to 4Gb of RAM. That sure helped things.

I use this PC for web surfing and building VMware PC and server images for use in training courses and more. Right now I'm populating data into a wiki server that will be used by more than 15,000 sales folks globally when finished.

BTW: Turnkey Linux images FTW!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Oh no, I know how to read. I inferred that while this machine was for his wife since she prefers windows, he would have gotten a macbook for the same purposes.

Now obviously a hard coreish machine (although I'd argue that a mbpro is vastly overpriced) for a designer is not uncalled for.
    If it were my machine it would be used to run pretty much the entire Adobe Creative Suite (at once). Since it's not my machine and only used for email and web, I got a cheap(ish) HP for the wifey.

"Overpriced" is definitely a relative term. Mac users tend to keep their machines twice as long as Windows users without modifying much besides adding memory or storage. So, in the end, the cost tends to balance out. And you have to be careful to compare (pardon the pun) apples to apples when it comes to hardware. It wouldn't be fair to compare the little $600 HP that I bought to a top-line MBPro and then call the MBPro "overpriced". Compare it to a top of the line Dell Precision and the paying field is level.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    BTW: Turnkey Linux images FTW!
    No joy running nix on my notebook. I have tried 3 different flavors:

One the video would not work on.

The second messed up my HD so bad the notebook would not post much less boot. I had to pull the HD and format it on a different machine.

Solaris actually booted but the video driver was messed up and eventually the screen was unreadable.

The only option I have is to go back to Windows. Most of the problems I have had is finding a driver for the ATI video card in my notebook. Its an OEM implementation and is a real pain. Under Vista I am running a hacked version of the XP driver and it is working fine.

I dislike VISTA very much! (clean version) I just bought my collage bound son a very nice MAC.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

No joy running nix on my notebook. I have tried 3 different flavors:

One the video would not work on.

The second messed up my HD so bad the notebook would not post much less boot. I had to pull the HD and format it on a different machine.

Solaris actually booted but the video driver was messed up and eventually the screen was unreadable.

The only option I have is to go back to Windows. Most of the problems I have had is finding a driver for the ATI video card in my notebook. Its an OEM implementation and is a real pain. Under Vista I am running a hacked version of the XP driver and it is working fine.
    VMware is a great way to go when you need software running under another OS such as Linux.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast