Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Chassis Designer

Default Help!

car got broken into AGAIN. slashed the top AGAIN. i need some recommendations on what kind of softtop and where to find the best deal on it, and i need a hardtop. i don't really like the ones with the small back windows, i would like a factory styled one, if anybody knows where to order one from, please let me know, thanks
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Cabrio World is where I got mine from for my 92 B&T...

$217 + shipping and you can get it in a variety of colors. But that's an NA price... They have NB tops too...

I *never* leave anything in the car... I put it all in the trunk.

My 2003 has the "turn key left to disable the inside the console trunk release"... The 92 didn't, but I did the mod to the trunk lock to activate that feature... That way if someone did get in the car, they weren't going to easily get into the trunk.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Move.

Get a garage.

Get a sh*tbox to drive everyday.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Move.

Get a garage.

Get a sh*tbox to drive everyday.

Yea I agree! What did they take out of the car this time bio243? Was it a random act of vandalism??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If the car is prone to break-in's at your current location, the easiest/cheapest/best thing to do is keep all valuables out of it at all times and leave it un-locked. Sorry to hear that it happened.

When I did have a top on the car, I made it very clear to all that my doors were unlocked (not that I kept anything in the car) and usually left my windows down about half way.

Honestly, it's one of the many reasons I've emptied my car of just about anything... no temptation for thieves. Unless, of course, they really want the BUR... and I just don't see that happening.

Did you have your doors locked or unlocked each time?

I'm sure everyone's already head this, but the only problem with leaving the doors unlocked all the time is that if someone breaks into the car and damages anything you have a heck of a time explaining to the insurance company how the car was left unlocked...

As far as not leaving anything of value in the car, I totally agree. I have a stock radio in the '93 and have been hankering for years to replace it with a nice aftermarket -- but am afraid to. At least the stock radio screams "I'm not worth a damn -- leave me alone!"

:)

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    I'm sure everyone's already head this, but the only problem with leaving the doors unlocked all the time is that if someone breaks into the car and damages anything you have a heck of a time explaining to the insurance company how the car was left unlocked...

Chuck
    You can open any locked car it takes very little effort. Ask any locksmith!

But the path of least resistance is to cut the top...

I had a removable (not a motorized hidden) faceplate for the stereo in the 92 B&T but still... people could slash the top and dig around inside since most owners just put the removable face in the glove box, center console, or down under/beside the seats.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You can open any locked car it takes very little effort. Ask any locksmith!
    ...or any high school kid. I agree, it's stupid. But I got my a** chewed by my insurance agent when he discovered that I leave my doors unlocked. (I figured I would rather have them open the doors, see there's nothing at all there -- 'cept my first-class, only turns on when it's warm and it feels like it radio -- and move on. After he chewed my a**, he told me that if the car was stolen and recovered with damage but no signs of forcable entry, life would be a LOT harder.

I asked the same kind of question -- what happens if they just open the lock? His answer: Most car theives aren't locksmiths -- they're going to take the quickest way in (broken window/slashed top/ etc.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Versus slashing my top (if I had one) or breaking my windows or jimmying the lock.. . I'll argue that with any insurance adjuster any day!
    One of my neighbors got his’91 Miata broken into a couple of years ago, it was unlocked. But the mastermind thief broke out the drivers side window to steal the radio with detachable faceplate. The faceplate wasn't in the car.

But we did learn it's surprisingly easy to change out a drivers side window.........

YOu know what would be absolutely awesone? A removable "face plate" made out of the face of a stock NA miata radio. You remove it and behind it is your real deal. That would be slick.

Chuck

I would think that a good car thief would already have a plan in mind when approaching a car... smash the window, reach around inside for the goods, and bolt.

YOu know what would be absolutely awesone? A removable "face plate" made out of the face of a stock NA miata radio. You remove it and behind it is your real deal. That would be slick.

Chuck
    I've seen false fronts like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    One of my neighbors got his’91 Miata broken into a couple of years ago, it was unlocked. But the mastermind thief broke out the drivers side window to steal the radio with detachable faceplate. The faceplate wasn't in the car.
    Even worse... When I was in college, my CRX was parked in front of the house (in the street). The jacka** neighbor kid decided he wanted my $2 JVC POS radio that didn't work (?), so he hopped right in (I'd forgotten and left the car unlocked) and proceeded to reach behind, grab the center console, and tear the whole thing out.

The JVC was held on by the two front nuts on the shafts.

Thanks, moron.

Chuck

When we lived in Lewisville, my wife's Accord was broken into. I would have prefered the idiot break the window, but he/they broke the door open... cost me a left nut getting that damn thing fixed.

Damned thieves...

In collage I had a sweet black Chevy Silverado pickup. I went to the parking lot after finishing classes on a Friday and it was gone I never saw it again.

It was locked, had and alarm and a locking bar deal that hooked from the brake pedal to the steering wheel.

My life lesson for that day was, if they want it bad enough they will get it......

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Chuck
    I've seen false fronts like that before.
    Im working on that right now for my car. The face of the old stereo came off easy enough, now I just need to make it fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast