Thread: Major Electrical Problems on Cali 93 model

Default Major Electrical Problems on Cali 93 model

The car started running bad about 3 years ago acting like it was only firing on 3 cylinders and blowing smoke. We stopped driving it because we thought it was a stuck valve or hole in the piston. Well after 3 years in storage I am putting this back together and running up against tons of problems, one I just cant figure out.

The Crank angle Sensor was fried for sure so I replaced it. Also the module that sends the signal to it had a hole drilled through the bottom that let moisture in so we had to replace that. I replaced all the plugs, o-rings, gaskets, wires, and seals. The fuel injectors leaked horribly so I replced the gaskets and cleaned out the whole system. Finally the car would start but the fuel injectors just keep a steady non stop flow of fuel instead of pulsing. So we pull the ECU and sure ass hell it is corroded beyond belief from water damage. This would appear to be the problem right?

So we order the ECU which is no longer in production and the problem does not change, so we order another one and still the problem persists. Somebody said that because it is a california car it has a different ECU for Emissions Controls and said we have to get a Cali ECU in order to make it run right??????? This could be true but really doesn't make sense to me either. I would think that having replaced all of the electronic components on the car it would run just fine?????

I could use some advice, even the shop I have it at now is left scratching thier heads. They cant get the Cali ECU, but I think it should matter what ECU I put in it, I think it's another problem entirely?

Please a word of advice from some of you miata experts, I am just a motorcycle mechanic?
    If you cant race it, why buy it?

Honda 650XR SuperMotard
    Suzuki GSXR 1000

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quick search on the pointy board and I found this -

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...ght=california

Hmmm... You learn something new everyday. I thought all NA were the same regarding Fed vs. Ca emissions. I would've lost that bet.

It seems it's a 93 only thing thus the likely culprit. That would be a bitch to diagnose if you didn't know your car came from Commiefornia.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Okay, so we have the batch vs. sequential thing in play. I'm still intrigued by the injectors that just keep dumping fuel. Any chance they're just stuck open? Did you have them cleaned/flowed/serviced when all of the gaskets, seals and similar were replaced?
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

The injectors I cleaned myself and replaced the o-rings with heat tolerant o-rings. I dont think that is the issue. The last guy that had his hands on it besides me said that the fuel injection system was grounding out causing it to just dump???? Makes no sense.. Either does the difference in ECU's. I cannot believe the money I have dumped into this thing to get it to run only to run up against this wall. If I take it to Mazda I am sure it will be at least another $1500 to fix with a very hard to find part and labor for diagnoses.

With that option left I may be asking y'all how to put a 5.0 litre mustang engine it. That may be the cheaper option and after all, it all ready has the cage and suspension for racing.

That damn Crank Angle Sensor was $900, I need a couple of junk yard mustangs to rip parts off instead but since its the wifes toy I fear she will wrap it around a pole with that kind of power and the use of her cell phone that never leaves her ear while driving.

Please help?
    If you cant race it, why buy it?

Honda 650XR SuperMotard
    Suzuki GSXR 1000

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pointy board
    '93 CA Miatas have a sequential fuel distribution system (a different ECU and fuel injector wiring) than '93 Federal Miatas...
    If it's really that simple, could you swap in a non-CA ECU and rewire injectors as needed? (Of course, it's probably NOT that simple...) I wonder if a 1.8 swap or standalone ECU would be easier. Maybe standalone + IRTB?

Before you take it to a dealer, talk to Stevan at Miata Solutions. Great guy and a straight shooter.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Crain View Post
    That damn Crank Angle Sensor was $900
    Who charged you $900 for CAS??

Wow, that $900 must be a typo. Maybe you are including a few weeks of diagnostic fees?