Thread: Suspension setup questions...

Default Suspension setup questions...

Ok,

So, I am kind of excited, kind of fearful, of the results of my latest purchase - which would be a set of H&R Street Performance coilovers.

Ya, for $1,200, they suck. I got them for $700, and when compared to the only other thing under $700, they seemed ok. (Flyin Miata Stage 1). Or V-Maxx coilovers, but they don't count.

The only trouble is they are ~250#/in springs on all 4 corners...kind of a dumb way to do things. As you all know, the rear springs should be a tad over 2/3 or so the #/in of the front for neutral handling.

The good news is, I have a ginormous RB 1.25" hollow front sway already.

So my question is, will that ginormous RB sway in the front help tame the quite possible oversteer that awaits with these coilovers?
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

You would probably be better off with a set of Tokico springs. At least then you would be neutral.

What a dick move.

H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

If you still have oversteer issues, pull your rear sway. If you can get the deminsions from the springs (hight, diameter) you can probably order some custom springs from somwhere.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Exclamation

Drove jrj512's AST prepared car this weekend and if I recall he has 700# front & 450# rear springs on it and it was awesome.

I'm thinking your 250# springs are going to be a bit weak.

YMMV

I was thinking 250# may be a bit weak also, but it's not a full auto x car...

But still, you may be right, it might be a bit weak even for street driving...

We shall see.

I just hope, at worst, I have to pull the rear sway, and it remains neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcreider View Post
    I was thinking 250# may be a bit weak also, but it's not a full auto x car...

But still, you may be right, it might be a bit weak even for street driving...

We shall see.

I just hope, at worst, I have to pull the rear sway, and it remains neutral.
    Pulling the rear sway is no biggie, many tuned miata's have no rear sway
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Is this for AutoX mainly?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

The problem is that a sway bar does not work quite the same as a spring. While sway bars work under lateral load, they do nothing for the spring rate under changes in acceleration.

What size ID springs do the H&R coilovers use? What free length? Chances are you can change the springs on them without too much trouble, although who knows how much range the damping has.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

This will be mainly for street, occasional auto x whenever I get the time.

I have no idea on the measurments of the springs, I'll have to wait till they come in - but I suppose I could change them if need be.

The only trouble is they are ~250#/in springs on all 4 corners...kind of a dumb way to do things.
    Is that the standard way they do it or did the previous owner order it special??

First thing I would do is drive the car as is. If the oversteer is a problem, pull the rear bar. I ran without one in my old CSP car and it worked great (except at Pennington). If it's still a problem, look at your alignment numbers, you might want to add some more rear camber. Finally, consider getting a 350-400lb spring for the front. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Spring rates aren't everything, because you have to evaluate the setup as a whole. Don't forget about tire pressures too.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

The one and only person that I know to have put the same kit on from miata.net says his car handles neutral, even leaning towards understeer, with the Flyin Miata sways front and rear + the H&R coilovers.

I am thinking, then, that (like Thomas said), just put the kit on with my front bar and rear bar as is and see how it goes...

I suppose changing alignment would be more subtle than removing the rear swaybar as well, am I correct? Assuming a subtle change is all that is needed...

PS: It comes like that, I called H&R today to verify. Progressive rate springs, apparently starting out @ 255#/in on all 4 corners.

Those H&R Street Performance coilovers, in my professional opinion, matched with my RB Hollow front swaybar...

Are fuckin' unreal awesome. 250#/in isn't weak at all, that shock is stiff...real stiff. It rides good though, looks good, and handles even better. There is no understeer, there is very little oversteer, there is 98% of the time grip to levels you are uncomfortable experiencing.

I love it.

Those H&R Street Performance coilovers, in my professional opinion, matched with my RB Hollow front swaybar...

Are fuckin' unreal awesome. 250#/in isn't weak at all, that shock is stiff...real stiff. It rides good though, looks good, and handles even better. There is no understeer, there is very little oversteer, there is 98% of the time grip to levels you are uncomfortable experiencing.

I love it.

Agreed.... holy fucking shit and much laughter is what I'd rate that setup at... now to see how mine will do.