Thread: 1.6L to 1.8L Injector Swap...

Default 1.6L to 1.8L Injector Swap...

Well I got a little motivated for 2005 and swapped injectors out on the BRG today.

It was an easy job. Two bolts hold the fuel rail into place and sandwich the injectors onto their mounting holes. I did have to remove two small coolant hoses that run into the intake manifold in order to get access to the second bolt.

The fuel rail moves down and to the left slightly and you wiggle the injectors into and out of position. There are some spacers on the injector end that you pull from the 1.6 Injectors. I got these Injectors from TurboDuane, they were the stock ones from his FMII car and had fresh and supple o-rings...

Results: Very noticable increase in power and throttle response. My old injectors must have been 151K jicky, because these seem to help the car quite a bit. This is the first step in the march toward the turbo for the BRG.

Chris

Yes you can. From reading on the pointy board it is a seamless swap, the computer compensates for the larger injector by monitoring the o2 sensor. It is close enough in size that it doesnt have any negative effects. I would think that if you could find a set of 1.8 injectors from someone who upgraded to larger injectors (like FM 550) then it would be a good upgrade. I dont know if it would make more power, I just think that my 1.6 injectors needed some help.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Glad to hear that they are already in service and serving you well
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

So what is the flow difference between the 1.6 injector vs. the 1.8 injector?

The 1.6L is a 205cc injector and the 1.8L is a 235cc injector. That is about it, it is just a little larger.
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    The 1.6L is a 205cc injector and the 1.8L is a 235cc injector. That is about it, it is just a little larger.
    OK now I'm intrigued! Is there a way to check the functionality of the Injectors? Figure with 156,000 miles on the ones on my car they may not be working to peek efficiency.

iwould send them off to rc engineering, its right at 100 bucks to have all 4 rebuilt and flowed out.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    iwould send them off to rc engineering, its right at 100 bucks to have all 4 rebuilt and flowed out.
    Are these guys Local? You got any more information on them? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I think I found them! http://www.rceng.com/index.htm

I think I found them! http://www.rceng.com/index.htm
    OK Sparky... you're losing me. Are you interested in refreshing your 1.6s, upgrading to 1.8s, or upgrading to refreshed 1.8s?

Are there any signs that you have injector issues? Perhaps a $3 bottle of injector cleaner might be a better(READ CHEAPER) first step.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Perhaps a $3 bottle of injector cleaner might be a better(READ CHEAPER) first step.
    That's what I was thinking. Go get a bottle of Techron and dump it in a full-tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Perhaps a $3 bottle of injector cleaner might be a better(READ CHEAPER) first step.
    That's what I was thinking. Go get a bottle of Techron and dump it in a full-tank of gas.
    Well it is looking like the POS may make a return appearance for next AX season, and I'd like to see if I can regain some of her lost glory.

Well it is looking like the POS may make a return appearance for next AX season, and I'd like to see if I can regain some of her lost glory.
    Say it isn't so, Sparky... I thought you had the connection on a '99???

There is a place in Lewisville that also cleans and services injectors for about the same rate and turn around is just a few hours. I think it was Abe's injector service but you may want to check bigbook.com
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

STS2?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain

STS2?
    Nope no STS2 for the POS more than likely it will return to E-Stock for a few events.

So if a set of injectors has been in a car for let's say about 150,000+ mile how worn out would they be?