Thread: Hoosier SM6

Blog Entries

Default Hoosier SM6

I was looking around at track day tires just for grins (my roll bar just got installed!) and thought I had narrowed it down to NT01 or 888s when I ran across this one. I haven't heard of these, must have been sleeping. Supposedly an R6 with a harder compound for longer life. Price seems reasonable if the last longer than the others. Anybody know anything about them?

http://www.stupidfasttires.com/index...gebuv5pmthkn74
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

It is exactly the same as the R6. It was given a special name for Spec Miata racers to get a more competitive price. I don't know if you can get the deal if you're not racing SM, but it's worth a try.

Stay away from the R888's. They do not last and can't make a thirty minute race before getting very greasy. SM had chosen them as the required tire for 2009, but has just returned to the RA1's because of all the problems.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

SCCA and NASA have headed back to the RA1s. They should or are available. I just bought 3 sets and the vendor said he could get plenty. Far less than the $164...

Yep, stay away from the R888s. I'd recommend the RA-1s or NT01s.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I am on my second set of R6s on my Spec and really like them

lots of track miles (about 800 on first set, 600 so far on second) and very predictable and consistent

but I gave $200 each

Alan, what did you give for the RA1s ?
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post

lots of track miles (about 800 on first set, 600 so far on second) and very predictable and consistent

but I gave $200 each

Neal,
    Great to hear from you. I paid $128 per tire. Then shipping. I believe it cost $10 or $15 per tire..
    Alan

but I gave $200 each

Neal,
    You need to get the skinny on the SM6 Hoosiers. I think the price is around $160. Search for it on The SM board.....
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Neal,
    You need to get the skinny on the SM6 Hoosiers. I think the price is around $160. Search for it on The SM board.....
    I did a search and only found a mention that they exist

no info at all

I emailed Tire Rack and asked

the link above says $160

since I know how well my car works on them, I'm tempted, but wonder if I should get some of the new RA1s this fall when the new batch is built

You can't use the hoosiers if you're gonna race SCCA Nationals. Don't know about NASA. That might be the deciding factor. I know Tire rack doesn't know, or at least will not acknowledge that they do. You're gonna need to go to the forums to find it. I know I read it there some time ago.

I'm just running track days, not wheel-to-wheel

looking for good grip and pricing

I'm just running track days, not wheel-to-wheel

looking for good grip and pricing
    Neal,
    I bought the tires from Joe Sprecht at Treadzone.com formerly tireshoppe.com. He did me right. I did buy full tread!!!!! I believe the shaved are an additional $15. I am too slow to be buying shaved tires!
    Alan

looking at the Hoosier site, they list the SM6 on a different line as the "normal" R6, but the item number is the same

I'll have to call them and see what is different

I've run shaved and non-shaved tires for years, and almost always found I get about the same life out of shaved

at least in autocross where heat cycles count as much as wear

Love the Hoosiers on my SM but when the time comes soon I'm gonna try the BFG R1's. I've heard they are better than the Hoosiers...

You can never go wrong with the RA1's, especially on a budget compared to the Hoosiers or BFG's.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Love the Hoosiers on my SM but when the time comes soon I'm gonna try the BFG R1's. I've heard they are better than the Hoosiers...

You can never go wrong with the RA1's, especially on a budget compared to the Hoosiers or BFG's.
    One of my fellow instructors had been driving on the BFG R1s in his SM. I tried to maintain the same speed as him with my SM on sweet spot RA1s. It was useless. I started overdriving my RA1s and the car got greasy quick. I do not know how the BFGs compare to the Hoosiers, but I do know the R1s grip like there is not tomorrow. They seem to be very consistent as well. Just buy the RA1s. As Icepenguin says, RA1s are great on budget, plus as Instructors, we are not racing, kind of....