Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New sports car from Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    ... but with production cars packaging and cost concerns sometimes dictate compromise solutions.
    Yes, cost and packaging concerns do come up in the real world. That's why I mentioned them specifically earlier. The thing is, for both of the marques mentioned cost and packaging should not be a problem. If you have a longitudinally mounted inline six, or better yet a rear-mounted engine, you've got plenty of room for a double wishbone (or multi-link) suspension. Cost shouldn't be a factor either. If Honda could put a double-wishbone suspension in a $14,000 Civic more than 20 years ago, it shouldn't be too expensive for Porsche's $60,000 Boxster today.

Personally, I'd prefer a bicycle to any car with McSuspension if that car has a big price tag or any kind of sporting pretensions.

Of course, a SLA suspension is never a guarantee that the car will handle well. What is indisputable, though, is that a well-engineered double wishbone suspension is always going to be better than even a well-engineered McSuspension if all other variables remain the same.
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley Dawson
    What is indisputable, though, is that a well-engineered double wishbone suspension is always going to be better than even a well-engineered McSuspension if all other variables remain the same.
    No one is disputing that, princess. We're disputing your blanket "all Mcstruts are crap" statement.

and all other variables rarely remain the same in the real world.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

OH MY GOD... Toyota hired away the Tiburon's chief designer...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    No one is disputing that, princess. We're disputing your blanket "all Mcstruts are crap" statement.

and all other variables rarely remain the same in the real world.
    That's all fine and good, pumpkin.

And the only way all other variables remain the same is when you're talking about the same car. As in making that choice during the design stages.

For the record, I didn't say all MacStruts suck. I said they suck in any car that costs a lot or has sporting pretensions. In a Prius or a Fit, the MacPherson strut is a perfectly appropriate design, because the space savings such a design offers allows for a large interior space with a small exterior. Those cars, however, are neither pricey nor sporty. They are cheap people-haulers, the kind of car a strut suspension belongs on.
    Last edited by Dudley Dawson; 08-08-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley Dawson View Post
    Maybe in your opinion.

Fact is...
    Oh, this should be good...

"That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12