Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt to get 230 mpg rating

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Chevy Volt to get 230 mpg rating

Meh...

It still only goes a mere 40 miles on a charge without the use of gasoline. And what about all of the emissions put off from the electric motor generating O-zone?
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

and 40K+ price tag.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

heh... this must be that New Math™... because by their formula, if I drive < 40 miles a day, I'm getting ∞ MPG
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    heh... this must be that New Math™... because by their formula, if I drive < 40 miles a day, I'm getting ∞ MPG
    Yup, gotta love bean counters. They just don't understand the real world.

I think it's amazing there is all this fuss over a car getting 40MPG. I had a 1988 Honda CRX HF that was straight gas that regularly got 50+ MPG and it was acually fun to drive. I know I have said this before but if they could get that kind of milage 20 years ago why can't they get even better on straight gas today?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    if they could get that kind of milage 20 years ago why can't they get even better on straight gas today?
    Emission controls and safety standards.

I like the Volt and the concept, regardless of the MPG tag. You get the "benifits" of an electric vehicle without getting stranded for eight hours if you run out of batteries. Judging by this, many of us would not consume any gas or only use the gas engine for a small percentage of the time on our way to and from work. It would also cover you for local trips to stores. However, if you need to take a long trip, then it can handle that, too.

I would rather have 40 miles battery plus unlimited gas usage versus only 100 miles on a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    if they could get that kind of milage 20 years ago why can't they get even better on straight gas today?
    Here is a story on that.

So does that mean the Fiskar will also get an super high MPG rating since it can run on just batteries also??

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Emission controls and safety standards.
    Safty I can undersatnd. The cars have to be heavier to be safer (apparently).

I don't agree with the emmisions. The one time I had it tested the guy thought his equipment was broken because he could not get a reading. They tested the car 4 times before they accepted the results. It was one of the first cars to qualify under Californias ULEV standards.

I'm not sure exactly where they came up with the 230, but I calculated out a real life example and coincidently came up with the same number:

Total miles driven: 50
    Miles on electric: 40
    Cost to charge: $0.40 (Based on a quote from one of the Volt articles)
    Cost to drive electric per mile: .40 / 40 = $0.01
    Cost for a gallon of gas: $2.75 (pulled from my memory of my most recent trip to the pump)
    Total cost equivalent MPG while electric: 2.75 / .01 = 275 MPG
    Miles on gas: 10
    MPG on gas: 50 MPG (Based on a quote from one of the Volt articles)
    Average MPG over 50 miles: (275 *.80) + (50 * .2) = 230 MPG.
    Last edited by Titus; 08-11-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Meh...

22 miles to work... lots of stop and go on I-35E... The car won't make a round trip for me. What a joke, 40K and can't drive to the office and back on electric.

I'll keep the Diesel Jetta. David and I just got back last night from our annual father/son road trip. We filled up in Aurora, Colorado and still had a quarter tank when we stopped in Amarillo. Filled up there and still had a tad less than a half tank left when we got home.

Not bad for a 4 door family sedan that seats 5 realistically.

Too bad the Tesla is so expensive. It at least has a decent range for an electric.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Meh...

22 miles to work... lots of stop and go on I-35E... The car won't make a round trip for me. What a joke, 40K and can't drive to the office and back on electric.

I'll keep the Diesel Jetta. David and I just got back last night from our annual father/son road trip. We filled up in Aurora, Colorado and still had a quarter tank when we stopped in Amarillo. Filled up there and still had a tad less than a half tank left when we got home.

Not bad for a 4 door family sedan that seats 5 realistically.

Too bad the Tesla is so expensive. It at least has a decent range for an electric.
    The TDI is an impressive motor. Tesla is cool but it doesn't handle well with the extra weight and it takes a long time to charge I think. I saw one in Plano this past weekend. For the price I'd rather just have a gasoline supercharged Elise and a TDI VW.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Talking

This thing is going to sell to the "greenies" like crazy!

I think Jay Leno hit the nail on the head when explaining why so many Hollywood folks bought the Toyota Prius. I believe the exact same principle will apply for the Volt!

James May: “You know how the Toyota Prius is sort of like the _____ of Hollywood. It’s a fashion statement.”

Jay Leno: “But, you know why. You see, because it has the moral superiority. With the Prius, you can go ‘look, I am driving an unattractive car because I am saving the planet.’ See, in America we’re like, ‘Everyone should know about the good work we’re doing anonymously.’”

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Meh...

It still only goes a mere 40 miles on a charge without the use of gasoline. And what about all of the emissions put off from the electric motor generating O-zone?
    Heresy!

You've been reported to the authorities at [email protected].

I wonder how well that car will do on steep hill roads...
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I wonder how well that car will do on steep hill roads...
    With regerative breaking, probalby pretty good.

Well... I'm sure GM will put the 230 MPG on the sticker, but it will need to have a big huge "*" next to it... because the actual MPG number for the car can change drastically based on your driving habits... much more so that regular cars.

How long after it's release will it take someone to sue GM because they aren't getting 230 MPG?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Well... I'm sure GM will put the 230 MPG on the sticker, but it will need to have a big huge "*" next to it... because the actual MPG number for the car can change drastically based on your driving habits... much more so that regular cars.

How long after it's release will it take someone to sue GM because they aren't getting 230 MPG?
    The number on the sticker will come from the government, and GM is required to put it there. That should protect them from any lawsuits.

What may be more likely is the conspiracy theorists screaming that there must be a connection between the rating given by the government and the governments part ownership in GM. Can you say conflict of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    there must be a connection between the rating given by the government and the governments part ownership in GM. Can you say conflict of interest?
    Have you been reading my private blog?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast