Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SCCA Nationals results!

Watching the cars go thru the "river" at the corner heading for the finish in the 3rd heat, when the rain had stopped, is why we put on the rain tires. We ran in the 4th heat, and after 1 run, they came off as the course was drying quickly.

Here is a short video of Greg Piper spinning on a drying course, his 2nd run I believe. He took all his runs on slicks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_39E9Viqs

I did a lazy slide on my 1st run, in the same area, with rain tires on. I over drove the rain tires on the drying course.

And here is my last run on Wednesday. This is not how to take the finish fast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMhLPMz_Wc
    Didn't hit a cone!
    SpinOutF500

'07 FM F500

i choked....i learned that if you get 90% of the run right you'll still royally screw yourself in that last 10%......and I thought that just held true in the Porsche :)

I have some ideas on what I can do to the miata to make it work up there when I drive it (most likely) next year. :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

details???

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Long story...The Blackwatch FrankenLotus is flying though.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    Here is a real rain pic to give you guys an idea of what Jon and I had to run in.

http://gotcone.com/pgallery/2009_scc...s/ss/img_1126/
    Crap! Looks almost like you have an inboard motor with the prop trail coming out of the back.

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    details???
    Fuel tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Changed the gas tank 2 weeks ago to stop fuel starve on concrete. Apparently a $4,800 FIA fuel cell is legal in ASP but a fuel tank baffle is not. My fault for not reading the rules better. O'well, it was fun harassing some of the the XP monsters on their full slicks. Nabbed a trophy.

New tank arrived on Wed. Back to ASP...

[QUOTE=Clovis;188702]Changed the gas tank 2 weeks ago to stop fuel starve on concrete. Apparently a $4,800 FIA fuel cell is legal in ASP but a fuel tank baffle is not. My fault for not reading the rules better. O'well, it was fun harassing some of the the XP monsters on their full slicks. Nabbed a trophy.

New tank arrived on Wed. Back to ASP...[/QUOTE

Things like this make me less impressed with SCCA.
    SCCA - where a stock car can have $7,000 shocks.

If he just had a wing...

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    He's going to have to lose all 4 wheels plus his spare to impress anyone. That RX-7 already holds the record with 4 falling off in 1 corner. P.S. how the hell did that get through Tech at nationals?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Bought a picture of the car from our runs on the West course and never noticed it until I got home when my Mom asked if that was a tire in the background. I then noticed it. I think it could be the tire from the above Civic as they were on the opposite course and his direction matches where the tire is in my picture.
    Last edited by SpinOutF500; 09-14-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    SpinOutF500

'07 FM F500

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

It says he went through Fastech on the side of the car
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    how the hell did that get through Tech at nationals?
    Everything was fine at tech (which BTW is extremely lax at nationals). The hub cracked and separated. When the wheel was finally tackled the lugs/nuts were still attached!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Here's a sequence of shots of the Honda losing it's rear wheel.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=80

In CSPL, Juliann Pokorny won her 3rd National Championship in my 2006 Mazda MX-5. Jason Saini finished 7th in CSP Open (the highest finish for a NC this year), and I ended up in 17th, several spots better than my performance in 2008.

With only 14 days to prepare and test my car, Team MER installed Moton Club Sport shocks and a full MX-5 Cup racing exhaust system. They tuned the ECU with my Sniper software and their chassis dyno, netting nearly 20 additional HP and even more TQ.

They also brought three sets of Hoosiers - two sets of 285/30ZR18 A6s (one set mounted on my 18x9.5" ET45 Enkei RPF1s for the practice sessions, and one set on their 18x9.5" ET40 VOLK TE37s for competition), plus a set of 225/45ZR17 Hoosier DOT Wets (mounted on my 17x9" ET45 Enkei RPF1s). Finally, Juliann and I hauled the MX-5 to Lincoln on their trailer.

My MX-5 is underprepared in several areas. First, it still has the stock flywheel and clutch (with 39k miles on it), heavy airbag-equipped seats, air conditioning, and aftermarket stereo (with a 20lb 1000-watt amp). MER lightened it a little with the race exhaust and by removing my trailer hitch, but other than that, we raced it as I drive it on the street and in local events.

Because it may never be prepared to the limits of the rules in the current class, I'll be leaving CSP next year to play in the new STR class (the stock exhaust is going back on). The Motons are coming off soon, and I'll be Vorshlag's tester for the new AST 4210 shocks.

As for my experience in this, my second SCCA Solo National Championships - first and foremost, Team MER is a top-notch racing organization, and Jason and Juliann make an incredible team. I learned so much from them and had a fantastic time!

Quote Originally Posted by rpmchris View Post
    As for my experience in this, my second SCCA Solo National Championships - first and foremost, Team MER is a top-notch racing organization, and Jason and Juliann make an incredible team. I learned so much from them and had a fantastic time!
    Excellent bunch of folks out there and certainly experienced when it comes to Miatas. Good source for NC tops and OEM tires. Stacks of them laying around from their Pro Miata builds. Their used mazda friend that operates out of the front has quite a few low mileage offerings at decent prices. If Sharon did not want a PRHT so bad we'd have the titanium special edition sitting in the driveway this morning...

You had a very enviable experience Chris...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234