Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW TDI opinions?

Default VW TDI opinions?

I am pretty sure I want my next OTM to be a TDI; I'm not in love with the Jetta, but I love the drivetrain. The 2009 VW TDI has more torque and HP than before, and supposedly 40+ MPG's. Sometimes much more than 40 (highway). VW is soon to release the Golf with the same engine (not made in Mexico???)... They are also still giving the $1300 tax credit on the Jettas. I think they hold their value pretty well.. I want a 6 speed.

I think VW is going to update the Jetta in 2011.

Opinions??
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

My wife has the 2006 TDI and I love it.

What other vehicle can you get that seats 5 adults (realistically) and gets >40mpg when driven sanely and 35mpg when driven by me on the highway?

The Miata is over 5 years old and I haven't changed a belt or hose on it yet. This made me uncomfortable to take it on our annual father/son road trip so I took the wife's Jetta instead. I filled the take in Aurora, CO, and had 1/4 tank left when we pulled into Amarillo, TX.

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Jetta "upgrade" is more likely to be a downgrade; they are shifting production to Mexico and making it a US specific model.

I drove one of the VW Jetta TDI DSG Wagons. Nice enough car, but if you want something that gets out of it's own way that is NOT it. Seriously, my 1.5l Mirage outran it.

It does have more power and torque, and runs cleaner, but the new Jetta's weigh too much. A Chip and Exhaust would probably wake it up fine though.

Oh, and the interior trim on the TDI's is horrible compared to the GTI. As are the seats.

VW/Audi has had problems with the direct-injection gas motors, but I haven't heard anything untoward about the diesel. Browse the VW forums and see if anything has cropped up. On paper, a TDI with a 6-speed stick (non-DSG), should be an efficient and reliable combo. Stay away from anything CVT or DSG, etc etc etc.

Fit and finish, from what I've seen in Jettas over the last couple of years, is top-notch. However, I've heard of goofy behavior from some of the electrics (power windows, locks, etc).

Resale? I don't know for sure about VW, but Audi's resale is crap.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

VW resale is pretty bad on everything BUT the TDI's. Those hold something like 20% more value (comparable to or better than a Honda/Toyota).

My boss just did a Clunkers deal for a new TDI Jetta. He traded an old Exploder in for a black DSG(FTL) model.

I like the interior and color choice (black and tan). The radio sucks, touchscreen IIRC. So you can't use it without taking your eyes off the roads (there might be steering wheel controls though).

Why not get a used one and let someone else take the depreciation hit?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Audi has announced a 2.0L TDI A3 coming as an '10 model. Nicely equipped for around $30k. As much as I dislike VWAG, one of these would be very appealing as a CPO daily driver in a couple of years, unless the Japs ever dig their heads out of their collective asses and decide to offer diesels in North America.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Audi has announced a 2.0L TDI A3 coming as an '10 model. Nicely equipped for around $30k. As much as I dislike VWAG, one of these would be very appealing as a CPO daily driver in a couple of years, unless the Japs ever dig their heads out of their collective asses and decide to offer diesels in North America.
    mmm...

Mazda DI Turbo Diesel NC...

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    My boss just did a Clunkers deal for a new TDI Jetta. He traded an old Exploder in for a black DSG(FTL) model.

I like the interior and color choice (black and tan). The radio sucks, touchscreen IIRC. So you can't use it without taking your eyes off the roads (there might be steering wheel controls though).

Why not get a used one and let someone else take the depreciation hit?

Chris
    They do have stereo controls on the steering wheel. I want the 2009 or newer to get the TDI with the clean engine and all the additional power. Used 2009's go for the same as new, but without the tax credit, so I think new is the way to go...
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    unless the Japs ever dig their heads out of their collective asses and decide to offer diesels in North America.
    I was really hoping the Accord Diesel would have made it to the US by now... that could be my next daily driver if they ever bring it here...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

My TDI cost me essentially 1.9% APR on the note + $500 to own. When factoring in the diminished value settlement I got following a major accident, I sold it for $500 less than the purchase price. My car was from the last week of German production for Jetta wagons before moving to Mexico for the PD equipped cars.

I had the older TDI motor, and it would most certainly get out of its way... Also managed a trip from Dallas to Waco, Georgia, once with a clock (not moving) average speed of 93 mph. Refilled the tank for 44.2 mpg. Cruising at 70 on that car netted 50+ mpg. Commuting routinely netted 50+ mpg.

Can't say I'd own one again. It spent a LOT of time visiting Boardwalk VW for service.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

The problem with people that don't know how to drive a diesel is that they try to baby it. You gotta drive it like it were stolen. Wait until you are almost to redline before you shift and they will get up and go quite well. Don't get past half way on the RPM and you will be lucky to hit 50 in the 1/4 mile.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Robin's has that fancy 6 speed automatic transmission in it (DSG?) and it's a little pokey off the line at times. If you turn off the traction control it comes off the line faster. If you also put it in sport mode it comes off the line VERY nice.

You really want to do both if you want to pull out in traffic from a dead stop. From a rolling start? Just punch the gas and listen to the turbo.

I had a 99 Golf TDI for a few years. It was the lightweight 2 door of course , 5MT and German built. I got at least 50 mpg on road trips without cafeful driving. I had no mechanical problems, it could've used a suspension upgrade, and the interior was bleh. Beige cloth that showed dirt everytime a gram of perspiration touched it.

On paper it was worth a lot in the divorce settlement. More than I paid 3 yrs earlier. I smiled when I heard she managed to destroy it within a year. Does that make me a bad person?

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Robin's has that fancy 6 speed automatic transmission in it (DSG?) and it's a little pokey off the line at times. If you turn off the traction control it comes off the line faster. If you also put it in sport mode it comes off the line VERY nice.

You really want to do both if you want to pull out in traffic from a dead stop. From a rolling start? Just punch the gas and listen to the turbo.
    This is due to a poor mechatronic unit. If Robin takes it in to the dealership and the techs can replicate the lurching then the dealership will contact VW of America for a Mechatronic unit. VW should approve the request and then the part will take about 4-5 weeks to arrive.

VW just made a big press release about increasing their customer service to DSG customers, and even extended the warranty for 10 years / 100,000 miles for the transmission.

I took my GTI in 3 days after the press statement and now I am happily waiting for my mechatronic to come in so I can get the work done under warranty.

We're past 100k on the car...

Its a shame that such a great engine is surrounded by shit. Seriously, anyone who buys a VW product is a special kind of moron.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

eh to each their own. I have no problem taking care of my car and the little things to make sure it stays running right. Other people may not feel the same way.

I have owned a MKIV Jetta and now the MKV GTI and have had no serious issues. No tuned engines blowing up like in the speed 3 or transmissions grenading as in some subarus.

You just have to be more willing to deal with small charges, and getting to know your dealer then with other brands.

After you look at the downsides you get to look at the upsides which are a higher quality interior, levels of refinement, and often a more fun to drive car then the competition.

762, my boss is freaking out about the 10K mile Oil Change Intervals. I told him it's fine and to get an Oil Analysis at 7.5K miles if he's concerned.

What are your thoughts?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Yeah the manual does not require them for a while, but I just feel to weird leaving the car without an oil change for that long. I also drive the GTI pretty hard and the FSI engine does burn a small amount of oil so I figure it is just a better idea to change it.

For the TDI I am not sure, I just browsed the TDIClub forums where they had a few threads about it. Everyone says to follow the manual's service intervals because the US TDIs already have a service interval that is set for severe conditions. In some places in Europe the interval is 20k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast