Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1990 White Miata - $2500

Default FS: 1990 White Miata - $2500

239K miles

I purchased this car earlier in the year from a fellow dfwmiata member, in the hopes of building a weekend racer and honing in on my driving skills. Priorities have changed a lot this year for me and I simply don't have the time to work on the car, much less race it. It's a great little car, and in the few miles I've driven it this year, I already have some enjoyable memories.

The car had a lot of maintenance work done shortly prior to me purchasing it in March (Maint done ~231K, purchased ~238K). Timing belt, water pump, 3 out of 9 hoses replaced (I have the other cooling system hoses brand new from mazda in a box included with the car), cam seals, crank bolt, idler pulley, CAS o-ring, valve cover gasket, plugs and wires. The transmission and rear diff are also filled with redline oils. The car runs great, pulls good, A/C works, clutch grips, transmission doesn't grind.

Things I've added since purchase:
    -I repainted the car. It had the peeling white paint syndrome that a lot of the older miatas have. Some of you may have seen the threads I posted on here. It's based off the "Rustoleum $50 paint job," but it cost a quite a bit more than $50. It's about the same quality as the better maaco single stage paint job. Additionally, the rustoleum white paint is almost an exact match to the miata white (the mirrors are the original paint). To me, the main advantage with going with this type of paint job was that it was easy to do on my own, easy to maintain, cheap, and I wouldn't have to worry about my expensive paintjob when I slam cones in autocross or if I were to go off course on a road course. This paint is available everywhere, easily workable, and taking out scratches is a breeze. ($250)

-Electronic trunk popper. (Small switch mounted by the lever for the gas cap that opens the trunk) ($30)

-Trunk light. Cathode tube light mounted in the trunk lid and activated by a ground switch when the trunk opens.

-Upgraded brakes. I upgraded the brakes to the slightly larger brakes available in the 94+ miatas. New rotors (4), rebuilt calipers (4), 94+ brackets, SS brake lines (TDR), HP+ & HPS brake pads, flushed & refilled with Valvoline syntech brake fluid. The brakes barely have 400 miles on them, infact the front rotors still have the hash marks on them from the manufacturing process. ($500)

Other items:
    -Top was recently replaced, like new condition, glass rear window.
    -Pioneer cd player, headrest speakers, remote control
    -Home depot front lip
    -Airbox replaced with cone filter & adapter (Car will include the oem airbox + filter if you want to switch it back)
    -Interior is in great condition.
    -Armrest pad
    -Tinted corner lights and tail lamps.
    -Comes with the leather/vinyl tonneau cover (sp?)
    -Has the 5spoke NB rims w/ Falken Ziexs (~60% left, maybe a lil more)
    -Has a factory NB suspension installed in it. So it has a little more travel than the NA suspension, and has the NB tophats so that might open up a few options for suspenion if you decide to upgrade it. (I am selling the H&R suspension separately)
    -Just passed emmisions inspection in August
    -Manual steering (I don't remember if PS was an option in 90' or not)

Cons
    -Has a leaky rear main seal. With the car parked for a week in the gargage, I'd typically find 4-5 large oil drops under it.
    -The car drives straight, but the steering wheel had been removed once and it's mounted slightly off-center.

I'm going to post it here for $2500, craigslist etc I'm probably going to post it for ~ $2800.
    Last edited by maan1986; 10-05-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Add'l info

You should bring it out to a Wednesday night meet. As the previous owner, I also replaced the alternator and accessory belts. This car has been in Texas since it was purchased new in 1990 by a friend of mine.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

That paint job actually looks really nice. Where are you located?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    That paint job actually looks really nice. Where are you located?
    I'm northern tarrant county, Watauga area specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    You should bring it out to a Wednesday night meet. As the previous owner, I also replaced the alternator and accessory belts. This car has been in Texas since it was purchased new in 1990 by a friend of mine.
    I could try to make one of the meets sometime soon - I'd probably walk away not wanting to sell it anymore though lol.

Just to clarify a few details...

Does this car have the original engine at the posted mileage?
    By tonneau, do you mean the full cockpit cover or the soft top cover? I've seen the term used for both pieces at times.
    How long until the lovely timing belt/water pump replacement is due (is it on schedule, and therefore due in 1k...etc.)?
    ...and yes, PS was indeed available on the '90 model. Not having it is no great loss.

Like others, I must say that paint job does look very good. Nicely done!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Come on Gary... you know you want to buy it back!

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post

How long until the lovely timing belt/water pump replacement is due (is it on schedule, and therefore due in 1k...etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by maan1986 View Post
    The car had a lot of maintenance work done shortly prior to me purchasing it in March (Maint done ~231K, purchased ~238K). Timing belt, water pump, 3 out of 9 hoses replaced (I have the other cooling system hoses brand new from mazda in a box included with the car), cam seals, crank bolt, idler pulley, CAS o-ring, valve cover gasket, plugs and wires. The transmission and rear diff are also filled with redline oils. The car runs great, pulls good, A/C works, clutch grips, transmission doesn't grind.

I sent the OP a PM
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I sent the OP a PM
    Pm replied.

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post

Does this car have the original engine at the posted mileage?
    By tonneau, do you mean the full cockpit cover or the soft top cover? I've seen the term used for both pieces at times.
    ...and yes, PS was indeed available on the '90 model. Not having it is no great loss.

Like others, I must say that paint job does look very good. Nicely done!
    Yes this mileage is on the original engine/running gear.
    Tonneau, I mean the soft top cover
    TB/WP done @ 231K
    And yes... I know about the great debate lol... the manual steering gives the car that heavy solid feel I like, but PS is also great for making the car feel real "tossable."

Thanks... I thought the paint came out pretty decent myself, especially for a track car with a noob behind the wheel.

Pardon my lack of reading comprehension on the whole timing belt/water pump thing. heheh

Free bump for a really decent looking car!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I have a few people who are supposed to come check it out this weekend, and someone on the board is interested in checking it out next week as well.

PM sent. Call me. Too won for seven oh seven nine won one too
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

No one came to look at the car. Still for sale. Pretty firm on the $2500 price, but you're getting a nice car in return.

Did anyone buy this car yet?
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Did anyone buy this car yet?
    If it is still available in 3 1/2 months, I may just buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    If it is still available in 3 1/2 months, I may just buy it.
    You could put that 1.8 engine sitting in your garage in this car!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

I'd be interested in this car but the price beyond my allotted budget.
    2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    I'd be interested in this car but the price beyond my allotted budget.
    Same here. I put in an offer a while back but I think he's firm on price.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast