Thread: Need help with airbag code

Default Need help with airbag code

My airbag light started flashing code 51 last night on the way home from work. According to the list of codes (see below) for a 1994 that I found on the pointy board, the problem is "System Down fuse open". I get the 1994 owners manual and go to check the fuses and there were no fuses in BOTH fuse boxes for the airbags! I would think that the light would have flashed all along. You guys have any ideas?

List of airbag codes for 1994 Miata:

Light remains ON - Poor connection at airbag computer
    12 - Open circuit power source
    13 - D sensor ON
    21 - Poor installation S sensor
    22 - S sensor ON
    23 - Open connection S sensor feed circuit
    24 - S sensor diagnostic circuit open
    32 - Open circuit [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]driver [COLOR=#009600 ! important]side[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    airbag module
    33 - Open circuit passenger side
    34 - Short circuit driver side airbag module
    35 - Short circuit passenger side
    41 - Open circuit between D sensor and computer
    44 - Poor installation of right side D sensor
    45 - Poor installation of center D sensor
    46 - Poor installation of left D sensor
    51 - System Down fuse open
    52 - Damaged back-up battery
    53 - Damaged computer
    Flashes continuously - Poor connection of all D sensors
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

This'll fix it...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    This'll fix it...

I knew I should have posted my question on the POINTY BOARD!!!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Did you put new fuses in yet?

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

This'll fix it...

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I knew I should have posted my question on the POINTY BOARD!!!
    LOL
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

If I had to make a serious guess, there are probably fuses in the airbag computer in the dash. Those that have completely removed their systems would know the layout (paging BR...).

But I still stick by my first post...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Replace the airbag module.

The fuse is a suicide fuse in the module. If the airbag module detects a fault in the system and if it isn't resolved in some (unknown) period of time, it will energize a heating element that is wrapped around the fuse. The fuse is a thermal fuse and this will cause it to open, killing the module.

This is why you must resolve an airbag system problem promptly. If not, the module will kill itself.

What did it flash before it suicided? On the older modules, if you have a D or S sensor error and you let it go for too long, it'll kill itself.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Replace the airbag module.

The fuse is a suicide fuse in the module. If the airbag module detects a fault in the system and if it isn't resolved in some (unknown) period of time, it will energize a heating element that is wrapped around the fuse. The fuse is a thermal fuse and this will cause it to open, killing the module.

This is why you must resolve an airbag system problem promptly. If not, the module will kill itself.

What did it flash before it suicided? On the older modules, if you have a D or S sensor error and you let it go for too long, it'll kill itself.
    The airbag light has never come on since I bought the car in April. I will most likely do what Trickyrix suggested and replace the steering wheel since the leather wrap on my steering wheel is cracked and peeling. I got a quote for a new leather wrap from a place in Rockwall, and they wanted $250 to put on a new one. I will check with BR to see what it takes to remove the airbag module. Thanx!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    The airbag light has never come on since I bought the car in April. I will most likely do what Trickyrix suggested and replace the steering wheel since the leather wrap on my steering wheel is cracked and peeling. I got a quote for a new leather wrap from a place in Rockwall, and they wanted $250 to put on a new one. I will check with BR to see what it takes to remove the airbag module. Thanx!
    You unplug the module and remove a couple of bolts to get the brackets off and out of the car.

Same thing for the backup power module.

After that, remove the bulb from the dash.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

So, will all codes eventually cause this suicide scenario for the module? I've got a '91 that's been blinking 9 at me since I bought it... if I remember from looking it up it's just stating that a circuit is open on one of the sensors. So I have no idea how long it's been doing it, at least 6 weeks. Should I expect to resolve it only to find the module dead?

I'm not sure that I want to spend $ on a steering wheel yet, looks like a bulb pull may be in my future.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Version3 View Post
    I'm not sure that I want to spend $ on a steering wheel yet, looks like a bulb pull may be in my future.
    You can't just pull the bulb, as that will set off an annoying beeper that issues forth from the airbag module. You can always wrap the bulb in black heat shrink...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

This'll fix it...

I don't know if you remember this stuff (old thread). I have a 94 Miata with a blinking airbag light. Blinks one, then pause, then twice. I think this is a code 12, Open Circuit Power Source. I am electrically inclined, so if you give me a hint, I may be able to fix it. I removed the airbag module and sent it to airbag systems in TX. $60 later, the blinking is still there. Is my airbag issue indeed an "Open Circuit Power Source?" If so, how does one fix this? Any help is appreciated!!