Thread: Oil pressure gauge not working

Chassis Designer

Question Oil pressure gauge not working

Replaced sending unit, still not working. What or where should I check next?

Oil level? The gauge itself.

What year car?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Chassis Designer

The first thing I would do is screw in a direct-read oil pressure gauge (i.e. like a compression gauge that fits directly into the engine block and you look at with your head under the hood, similar to a vacuum/pressure gauge). If that reads okay, then it's something down stream, such as wiring, fuses, or instrument panel read-out). If the direct-feed gauge indicates low oil pressure, then the first thing I'd look at is the oil filter. There is a spring-loaded by-pass valve that can malfunction, especially on non-Miata brand filters. If changing the filter out doesn't do the trick, then you're probably facing tearing down the engine and looking at the oil pump, bearings or possibly a loose oil pump pick-up. All-in-all, I'm guessing it's in the wiring after the pressure sending unit. On my '90, I had a zero oil pressure reading and it turned out a mouse had crawled under the hood to keep warm (November) and had chewed through the wire from the sending unit.

Chassis Designer

It is a 1991 model. The person that I bought it from told me that it did not work but had oil pressure, drove it about 50 miles home with no issues.