Thread: transmission freshen

Default transmission freshen

while i have the motor out of my 95r, i was hoping to find a shop to freshen up the transmission. looked through archives and cannot seem to find anyone actually recommending anybody. Dropped Gary a note at track dog, but does anyone have a local shop they would recommend? the 5 speed has a little over 200k on it. no issues, just would like new seals and to have it looked at to make sure its ready for another 200k...

I have heard that a lot of the SPEC Miata guys ship theirs to Dave Wheeler at Advanced Autosports. I am sure it is not cheap, but they are the best from what I have heard.

PatF:

The guy that Gary uses is Don Reynolds in OKC. He'll do whatever you need to him to do to 5 speeds. His labor starts at $350.
    Don sets up many spec miata's locally and at a national level for SCCA and NASA and build complete, turn-key specs. He can do R.E.M polishing and beedblasting to the gears for longevity.

I'm usually the one who takes the transmissions to him, so I'm pretty familiar. Gary has a trans being rebuilt at the moment, as well as a friend of mine.

Just pick up a lower mileage unit from a junk yard for $350 and replace the rear and front seals and call it a day. This is really easy to do if you already have the trans out. It's damn hard to kill a Miata transmission without FI.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

thanks for the notes. with no real apparent issues, i am going to install a seal set from TDR and keep on going.