Thread: Koni Sports for NA, what else do I need to get?

Default Koni Sports for NA, what else do I need to get?

Hoping to buy some Koni sports in the next month or so for my '91, but I'm confused about getting NA stuff or NB stuff. When reading about suspension, people say that you should swap out the NA mounts for the NB ones. Is that right? I was planning on getting the NA Koni sports because they have the adjustable perches and I'm planning on sticking with stock springs for a while and thought it would be nice to be able to adjust ride height a little. NB Koni's don't have 3 perches right?

So other than the NA Konis and bump stops (probably go with FCM 36mm unless I'm told otherwise), what else do I need if anything?

Thanks
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Depends on what your goals are. A lot of people replace the front sway bar with a bigger one for less roll and better handling.

I'll likely add the FM 7/8 front bar at some point. For now, I'm just wondering what I need to swap the stock shocks out for Konis. My overall goals for now are to increase handling ability for a car that will spend most of the time on the street, but with hopefully a few track days a year. My budget is fairly limited (2 month old baby at home :) ), so I've decided coilovers or custom FCM bilsteins are out of reach.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Need? Well, if my reading is correct, you'll need to drill out the top mounts to fit the Koni shaft diameter.
    ...so a drill and bit will be in order. Don't ask me what size, though; I have Bilsteins.

As to swapping out the top mounts, as mentioned in your first post, plenty of folks do this change. With the change to NB top mounts, you would need, well...the NB mounts, the large upper mount washers, as well as a certain set of endlink bushings.

Your first post looks like there's some confusion as to shocks, mounts, et al. Using NB top mounts doesn't mean you need NB shocks. Using NB springs means you need NB shocks. As such, you can certainly stick with your plan of NA Konis, and you can use those NB top mounts if you feel so inclined. There are a few decent write-ups on the pointy board about using the NB mounts with Konis...
    Here ya' go.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

For other's reference, I believe the diameter goes from 10mm to 12mm.

Thanks for the clarification. I can use NB top mounts with the NA shocks. The benefit to doing so is 1) they're cheaper should they break, and 2) increase travel. Is that right? I think I'll just keep my stock top mounts for now... so really all I need is the shocks and a 12 mm drill bit.

Thanks
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

You get much more travel with NB hats over NA hats.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    You get much more travel with NB hats over NA hats.
    ...and they'll lower the car a little, as well. The reason for this becomes clear when you place an NA mount next to an NB mount. There's just less material to the underside of the NB mount.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates