Thread: What is a Solo Passport?

Default What is a Solo Passport?

What is a Solo Passport? I was looking at National Tour dates on scca.com and saw this;

2010 Southern States Championship @Blytheville
    Arkansas Aeroplex
    Registration will open on March 16, 2010 for any member who holds a Solo Passport.
    If you are NOT a Solo Passport holder, registration will open two weeks later (March 31, 2010).
    Solo Passports may be purchased by calling 800-770-2055 and speaking with Member Services.
    Cost of the license is $45/individual or $50/family.
    Passport benefits include: TBD

Is the Solo Passport in addition to my membership fee? I am paying extra to register earlier?

Also why have the National Tour cost gone up so much? The cost involve can not ave increased on pace with the entry fee increases.
    M3 is always the answer.

A Passport Solo is/was a radar detector. I will let you know if I come up with any additional useless info.

The Solo Passport, as I understand it, is a new program intended for the folks that go to several Tours a year. By purchasing a Solo Passport, you are able to enter events sooner than others (thus reserving premo numbers) & bypass some of the lines at National events.

As far as the registration fees are concerned, this is a result of not requiring competitors to have a Solo Rulebook anymore. Turns out Rulebooks were a huge profit for the National Office. Now we all get to pay higher National event registration fees to offset no rulebooks. Most of this was explained in a email that went out to SCCA members.

I think I would have rather paid for the darn rulebook!
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Sounds like they got tired of the pass it along rule book in the line.
    The extra fee to register early is just crappy. I say boycott.
    Last edited by ken o; 01-24-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    A Passport Solo is/was a radar detector. I will let you know if I come up with any additional useless info.
    +1... I had one in college. It was tiny, powered by a 9V battery, and spent a few years clipped to the visor of my '89 LX 5.0 Poonstang...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Driver

From the email today:
    · In the last issue, I mentioned that one of the ways we were going to replace some of the revenue lost from no longer requiring a National Solo Rules book at Divisional and National events was by offering a new and improved optional Solo “license”. While the crunch of the Convention has prevented us from completing all the details to formally launch this, we can give you more details.
    o It is not actually a license, but an optional benefits card that will be called the Solo Passport, as it will provide the means of access to some special services offered on an optional basis for the serious National Solo competitor.
    o The Solo Passport will cost $45 for an individual member and $50 for a family membership (spouse or spouse and kids) and will be valid for the calendar year of purchase.
    o Those who purchased a Solo License in 2009 will be able to take advantage of some Solo Passport benefits, such as early registration, until that license expires. This will allow you to delay the purchase of the new card until a later date, but if you want the full benefits for the entire year, at some point you will need to purchase a Solo Passport.
    o Quick snapshot of benefits:
    § Annual Waiver photo card; “hard card”
    § Early online registration access for Tire Rack National Tour and ProSolo events; 2 weeks prior to access by general SCCA membership.
    § Early online registration access for the Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championship (TBA on time frame)
    § Early “Express Registration Check-in” at all National Solo events, which will include one free Test and Tune run or practice start (ProSolo).
    § Decal packet that includes all SCCA required decals. This does not include contingency decals (see below)
    § Additional benefits under consideration.
    o The Solo Passport will be available soon, so look for an announcement on the SCCA web site.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Sounds like they got tired of the pass it along rule book in the line.
    The extra fee to register early is just crappy. I say boycott.
    +1
    Stuart F. Maxcy
    STR 82
    NC Miata

How is it that ever local region can host a Divisional for far less than a National Tour? Will secret decoder rings be next?
    M3 is always the answer.