Thread: NB soft top removal

Default NB soft top removal

Anyone know off the top of their head what tools are needed to take off an NB top frame and all?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Nothing special. 3 bolts (14mm maybe) on each side near the rear of the doors and then the 962 10mm nuts holding the rain-rail on.

Is the soft top frames interchangeable from NA to NB?
    Last edited by mtrx804; 01-29-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Yep.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Nothing special. 3 bolts (14mm maybe) on each side near the rear of the doors and then the 962 10mm nuts holding the rain-rail on.
    no there are 964 10 mm nuts

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    no there are 964 10 mm nuts

You are joking right? lol well thankfully Im just buying it all preassembled today and some new rims

Take it easy as you pull the rain rail so you don't crack it.

Yea should be fairly easy to get all this off I think I have read 10 tutorials on how to remove it and a few vids too, and every one of them said that same thing be careful with the rain rail :P.

While the frames will physically fit between the NA and NB, they are not identical. The NB frames have the spring loaded last bow (and straps) which allow the top to be folded without unzipping the rear window (NB's don't have zippers). Just thought you should know.
    Currently Miata-less... 2007 Brilliant Black NC PRHT, to replace 2006 Winning Blue NC, to replace 2002 SE, to replace 1993 LE #1322 and so on and so on...

Yea, I knew the differences for lowering it, which is why I wanted an NB top rather than my NA, but I didnt know exactly what part made it able to be so much spiffier :P.

But went and got it yesterday and the rims Im wondering whats up with the car it was in perfect condition, she says that the engine blew but I tried to explain to her she could sell it for so much more than parting it out.

Does anyone know if you can drill and install these springs to an NA top frame? I'm still getting the kinks worked out of my Robbins glass window top, seems like those springs would help alot with the retracting.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by mtrx804 View Post
    Yea, I knew the differences for lowering it, which is why I wanted an NB top rather than my NA, but I didnt know exactly what part made it able to be so much spiffier :P
    Don't forget to attach the straps to the rain rail attachment studs. Otherwise you will have a funny looking back window when the last frame stays folded up.
    Currently Miata-less... 2007 Brilliant Black NC PRHT, to replace 2006 Winning Blue NC, to replace 2002 SE, to replace 1993 LE #1322 and so on and so on...

Yea im hoping to get that and my fender put on this weekend, got this spiffy new key off ebay since i only had the spare, im going to get cut today.

If anyone wants to help Id gladly appreciate it

Also the top needs to be repaied just a lil but i dont knwo how to go about doing it, around the bottem by the passanger side it sepperated form the frame a lil but tore suggestions?
    Last edited by mtrx804; 02-02-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Forgot to mention would provie Wingstop or Buffalo Wild Wings (whatever closer) and beers if someone can provide a garage GF has ours full of junk

you could use what some vandals decided to use on my car....a knife....