Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NA- FM 2.5 kit

Question NA- FM 2.5 kit

Hey, I have gone through all the boxes of my recently arrived 2.5 kit and there is nothing telling me what goes where???? I have shocks and springs in the same boxes (makes sense), there are bumpstops and spacers/washers in bags, I plan to install them this weekend, am I missing some instructions or is it intuitive how this all goes together when you get the old ones off???

Blog Entries

The short spring and the long shock go in the front. The long spring and the short shock go in the back. If the bump stops are different lengths the short ones go on the front. Invite everybody over for a pizza/tech day and we'll slap them on for you.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Sent Keith an email tonight, will call tomorrow! Just making sure I am not a bigger idiot than previously thought

A group effort would be great if this was not a dad and lad project!!

Read up on the long bolt method for the front shocks it's my new favorite way for changing the front shocks! YMMV

I have and I have also seen where you take off the upper or lower ball joint. I have a 1990 with 170K and am concerned about getting the long bolt out

Found it look at the Andy Hollis Method - http://www.miata.net/garage/shocks.html

Here's the easy way to replace the front shocks and or springs without messing up your alignment. Its also a whole bunch easier than splitting or unbolting the ball joints. Credit for this tip goes to Mazda Master Tech, John Long, of Mazda South in Austin, Texas.
    Wow with 170,000 miles I'd take a good look at those ball joints.

I have owned it a little over a month and yes I plan to give it a close inspection. I have had it up on the jack and gave each corner a short inspection and all the boots were good as well as there seems to be no slop. I had the leaking rear strut which somehow turned into my 2.5 kit. I think I have the fever.....

FM has full instructions on their websites in the turbo section. It's either from the main turbo chargers or FAQ page, but it's on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeller90 View Post
    I think I have the fever.....
    You got the fever?

If it makes you feel better, I got the fat cat bumpstop and NB tophats, and even with the directions I'm going to be lost I think, lol. Finding the way is fun, Right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You will need spring compressors to disassemble the front assemblies. Its not that bad. I did all 4 corners by myself in about an hour and a half. The first one took the longest. I used the long bolt method and it worked great.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I have changed all four corners on my Miata twice. Each time by myself. I also highly recommend the long bolt method.

Good luck, have fun.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Thanks for the info!! Well with all that said, long bolt method here I come!!

I've done the "San Diego" method 3 or 4 times. Last time, I did the "long bolt". I'll never go back...

Enjoy the new suspension!
    '96 M-edition

Blog Entries

Since you will not be disassembling the old shocks and the new springs will probably be too short to need compressed, you might not need a spring compressor. You should be able to assemble the new rear shocks with the supplied tophats before starting on the car. If you want to preassemble the fronts you just need the tophats. I have a bunch if you need a couple.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

I have a spring compressor so I am ready for whatever I run into and DUH!! I found the install instructions on the FM site LOL!! Thanks for all the tips. probably will get started tonight and then finish it up on Sunday

Long bolt was a breeze to get out, the FM instructions on the web site were not that good for the shocks and FM top hats. With the having to trial and error it took 4 hours. Plus the 11 year old got to use some air tools and learn the underside of the car is where the fun begins.

Sunday is paint the calipers and wheels day!! and if I have time, rebuild the shifter........
    Last edited by Yeller90; 03-27-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Wheels painted and clearcoated, calipers painted too, did not get to the shifter bushings. Great weekend!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast