Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sound system help

Default sound system help

So this past weekend I went out and bought a whole new sound system for the miata, Infinity speaker REF6032CF, kenwood head unit, mtx sub 10" TN10-04, and mtx amp TN200/2 . and got it installed at besy buy I dont know if im asking to much from them or not but when i turn it up to a some what decent level i hear rattling out of a speaker any ideas.
    Last edited by mtrx804; 02-23-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Is the speaker blown? If not, take it back and make them fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Is the speaker blown? If not, take it back and make them fix it.
    I have to wait till this weekend to take it back but didnt know if there was anything i could do to fix it, the problem is i bought all the stuff at Frys and they could put it in that day so i went to best buy, do you think they are going to replace it there or make me take the speakers back to Frys and get new ones?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Fix what? Do you know what the problem is?

Since you bought the stuff at Fry's I wouldn't expect Best Buy to warranty them for you...unless they broke them during the install.

They guy told me he blew the speakers when putting them in but he replaced them with ones from his store, and fix the rattling I didnt knwo if it could be that they werent mounted correctly or soemthing I dont really know anything about car audio stuff.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Hard to say....could be blown again or maybe he didn't even swap them out. If Best Buy admitted to blowing them, make them make it right by giving you new replacements. Go to the store manager if you have to.

You don't mention which speaker, but a point of reference the rattling on my car turned out to be the passanger door panel and not the speaker. YMMV

If the Best Buy guy told you he blew the speaker make sure to ask him for the blown speaker. Also, find out what he replaced it with. I don't trust those guys..I do my own stereo stuff.

Oh and a blown speaker sounds totally different from something rattling in the doors.
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Too bad you did not check with us before you bought and installed all of that equipment. I can probably help you determine if the speaker is blown or if it is just you door panel rattling. You may need some dynamat around the door speakers. Send me a PM with your phone number.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    You don't mention which speaker, but a point of reference the rattling on my car turned out to be the passanger door panel and not the speaker. YMMV
    It is the passander side.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrx804 View Post
    They guy told me he blew the speakers when putting them in but he replaced them with ones from his store, and fix the rattling I didnt knwo if it could be that they werent mounted correctly or soemthing I dont really know anything about car audio stuff.
    I don't get this part...Of the hundreds, maybe thousands, of systems I installed back in the day, I never once blew out any speakers on an install.

Well i think it was kinda my fault, when i bought the car it had an aftermarket headunit in and it would never come on so playing with it i found out the ground wire wasnt connected to anything so I connected it to somewhere i would assume is grounded (part of the frame :P ) and i guess he didnt see it and maybe had 2 grounds or was using it for soemthing else and kept shorting out speakers, the guy even pulled the speakers out of his truck and tried them in my car and it blew them too.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'm no rocket-surgeon, but I don't think you can fry speakers by having too many grounds. I wonder if he managed to run power thru the speaker leads.

The guy at Best Buy who installed it must be an idiot. I'd raise hell with the store manager, make them fix it (someone with a clue this time) and give you some money back.

Yea Im just tellin ya what he was telling me haha from the get go I wasnt giving this guy credit for an overabundance of smarts :P

Did he ever say NMC?

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Did he ever say NMC?

Not that I can remember why?

Quote Originally Posted by mtrx804 View Post
    Not that I can remember why?
    NMC = Not My Car
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

haha not while i was there :P

Are you sure it's the speakers that are rattling? I had a nasty rattle in my passenger door that I isolated as the window-winder mechanism (I have manual windows). The fix is to pull out the gearbox behind the winder, open it up, and pack it with grease. There are springs inside that box that will rattle like a mofo unless they're damped. I wasn't able to pack the gearbox to capacity, but I got enough in it to quell the rattle for a while.

Yes, it's rattling again, but at least I know the source of the racket.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

i have power windows :P nah im almost positive its the speakers vibration on the door pannel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast