Thread: Tire trailer question

Default Tire trailer question

I'm putting the final touches on my HF tire trailer, but have a question: is it better to put the tires on the front or back of the trailer?

I've seen them both ways, and her is my thinking:

- Putting the tires on the front makes access to the storage box easier (no tongue to step over) and puts more weight on the front half of the trailer.

- Putting the tires on the back makes the tires easier to get to, provides some aerodynamic benefit from the storage box and keeps bugs from smacking the tires, and allows the trailer to have some front-biased weight when being used without tires.

I'm leaning towards tires in front, box on back, but wanted expert opinions before I drill the holes in the morning.
    Thx.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Bugs smacking the tires? You do realize the trailer goes behind the car don't ya?

Location of the fenders dictated the layout on my trailer. YMMV

Yeah...the bug thing was a bit out-there, but just saying...

BTW - I almost forgot the question after imagining someone throwing on R-comps and autoX-ing that Caddy... :)
    Polished Turd Racing

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    BTW - I almost forgot the question after imagining someone throwing on R-comps and autoX-ing that Caddy... :)

why imagine when youtube does it for you

OMG... that's brilliant!
    Polished Turd Racing

Blog Entries

Now you know that everything on that trailer will fit in the trunk of that car, right? Hell the trailer might.

I don't own a tire trailer but I do pull trailers for a living. The important thing is to have positive tounge weight. Make sure that the center of gravity is in front of the axle. No matter how big the tool box is I would manage to fill it and never clean it out so I would put it in the front..I could always put something else in it just to add weight but I could not add another tire to the front if the box got too heavy. Tires and wheels weigh what? 140 lbs? I could put that in the box without even trying.
    Last edited by creek; 02-27-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Now you know that everything on that trailer will fit in the trunk of that car, right? Hell the trailer might.
    But then where would I put my Miata??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    But then where would I put my Miata??
    The back seat of course.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Polished Turd Racing

Tires in front of the box. Also 2 vertical stacks is much more flexible than lining them up side by side.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

If you put the box in front, the box opening faces the front of the trailer + into the wind as you are towing it. That can be a baaad thing.

Put the tires in front and find some balast when you don't haul the tires. Why would you use the trailer without hauling the tires?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Why would you use the trailer without hauling the tires?
    To haul a$$!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    To haul a$$!
    Put the $2 in you wallet, and leave the trailer at home.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

LOL to both of you!

While I expect the trailer to be 99% for tires, I like to leave options open, so I might possibly use it on a road trip or camping, etc.. I installed the box with wing nuts inside the box, so it is theoretically removeable.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and to David for showing me your custom mods on your trailer on Sunday.
    Polished Turd Racing

I made a "groove" for the tires out of 2x2's on the front of the trailer, fuel goes behind those, with the big box in the back. Its better for box access.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Ditto Creek's first post on the trailer weight.