Thread: It's all about the tires, 205 15's

Default It's all about the tires, 205 15's

Like POS, I am in search of tires. I am currently running 205 Azenis on 15X6.5 Rota's. I have loved the Azenis since the first gen way back when.

Currently, on the tread bars, and I'm getting plenty of wheel spin in the upper half of 2nd gear. I'd love to get wide 6ULs and run some 225's, but that's not in the budget right now.

So as it stands, I want to stick with 205's and something moderately priced. I want to stay under/at ~$100/tire.

My main priorities are:
    Track performance weighed against cost/tire
    straight line grip
    mileage (atleast ~10K)
    Wet weather grip is a pretty low priority

So far, I've narrowed it down to the following (to be matched at Discount, if possible):
    RS2's from onlinetires.com; delivered at $388
    Azenis from edgeracing or onlinetires.com: delivered at $348
    Kumho Ecsta XS from onlinetires.com: delivered at $399
    Z1 Stars (not excited about 195's) from tirerack: delivered at $386

Based on the prices and the few positive reviews I've read, I'm leaning towards the XS's.

Thoughts or counter-points? Anyone locally running XS's? I read about a guy on the hondatech board running MSR with good experience.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Kumho also has the new ECSTA XS. (Link - http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passen...rmance/KU36.do )

Still haven't got mine tires yet...... Santa didn't leave me any under the tree.

If you must have street tires, go with the RS2's. Very sticky compound. Better grip than the azenis, as they don't get greasy after 6 laps. They actually work in the rain, too.

I've always been able to find slightly used RA1's for fairly cheap. Talk to your local Spec Miata guys. They always have take offs.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Kumho also has the new ECSTA XS. (Link - http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passen...rmance/KU36.do )

Still haven't got mine tires yet...... Santa didn't leave me any under the tree.
    Is that what you decided on? They are what I'm leaning towards.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    If you must have street tires, go with the RS2's. Very sticky compound. Better grip than the azenis, as they don't get greasy after 6 laps. They actually work in the rain, too.

I've always been able to find slightly used RA1's for fairly cheap. Talk to your local Spec Miata guys. They always have take offs.

My local spec shop says they use them for testing, so they are corded by the time they're done with them.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    Is that what you decided on? They are what I'm leaning towards.

Chris
    They are currently in the lead!

Would like to hear feedback on the XS if anyone tries it. I like the star specs although they don't feel as good as the RE-01R to me.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

The star specs won out with me. I just ordered them. I have never used them but I have heard good things about them, and about $200/set cheaper than the RE-01R in S2000 size. They also did very well in Tire Rack tire testing.

UPDATE: Got the XS via Discount Tire. ~$480 out the door (after tax and installation).

Also, looks like Andy Hollis likes them, atleast on the track.
    http://sccaforums.com/forums/permali...ad.aspx#340862

Chris

Update: Tires lasted (bald in the front and on very little thread left on the rear) from 154K to ~169K. This is about 5K more than I had been expecting/hoping for.

This is with 3-6 trackdays on Icehawk alingment (the insides wore quicker with all the non-track mileage).

Another set will be going on Friday @94/tire via Discount.

Wish Costco still mounted tires

Chris