Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killed a Set of Victoracers on Sunday :-(

Default Killed a Set of Victoracers on Sunday :-(

Well it looks like I have joined the JRW frequent tire program.... I let the cord out of one of my Victoracers yesterday.

As some of you may have heard I am a CB, so here are a couple of question:

Can I just buy two (2) tires, and continue to use the best of the four original tires? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy four new tires?

Also other that the Altiain method (Drilling a hole in the tire), how do you guestimate the remaining tread depth on a tire????
    Thanks!

Hello Hello is this thing on........

Chassis Designer

OK I'll play, although with my recent tire history I'm not sure you should listen.

I think I would go for the two tire replacements. Put the new tires on the end you need the most stick and flip the remaining two on the wheels if they need it.

The A3S04's have tread dept indicators. BUT, since I can clearly see one at the outer edge of one corded tire, I don't know how to use to estimate remaining rubber. If I didn't see cord I would estimate 1/16 or so of remaining rubber, but there is exposed cord that almost touches the depth indicator. IOW - It appears the cord is higher (closer to the surface) than the bottom of the depth indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW
    I think I would go for the two tire replacements. Put the new tires on the end you need the most stick and flip the remaining two on the wheels if they need it.
    Yep the CB in my couldn't bring myself to buying four, so I just ordered two. Need to get the car aligned to help save the tires!

Update : Well the nice man in the Big Brown truck dropped off two more tires yesterday. So now I have 4 newer tires.

I let the cord out of one of my old ones at S2K event.

Need to get these turkeys mounted today!

If you guys want tires mounted in the future and don't mind driving to south dallas (cockrell hill and 20) let me know. I'll hook ya up!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    If you guys want tires mounted in the future and don't mind driving to south dallas (cockrell hill and 20) let me know. I'll hook ya up!
    Please 'splain to me what you may have available!

We need a new Mid-Cities tire mounting deal. Maybe our fearlees TCB Prez will wokr his magic with one of our local Discount Tire stores. Lord knows we could bring them enough business.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Maybe our fearlees TCB Prez will wokr his magic with one of our local Discount Tire stores. Lord knows we could bring them enough business.
    I'm already working on it.

Do you really trust DT with your wheels?????

Well I went to lets call them "SOB Tire & Auto Service" today.

I dropped off the two rims and tires and since I had been in just last week I said you'll mount these for me for $20.00 just like last week. Oh yea no problem nice customer!

So I show up to pick them up go into the office see the same slack jawed yahoo I had dropped them off with and I said are we ready to go. He then while sitting at his desk behind the counter starts to tell me how much trouble Bocefus had mounting the tires so the price was now $50.00.

I said geez you told me $20.00 when I dropped them off and $20.00 when I had them done last week. His Dad the who owns the place walks in and catches part of conversation and looks at his shoes.......

He said your going to pay $50.00 or I will keep your wheels.

I believe he must have thought that was going to some how humor me. I told him I'd pay the $20.00 we agreed upon and that was all he was getting. We then exchanged some colorful commentary back and forth until I start looking for a way over the counter.

That's when dad steps in, he says just collect the $20.00 and let the guy be on his way. The kid retreats and I pay Dad with my Amex.

Bocefus helps me load my two rims in my SUV, and I said I hear you had a lot of trouble mounting the wheels. His reply was, "no they were pretty easy."

We defiantly need to find someone we can routinely count on. It’s such and ass whipping every time I need to get tires messed with, I’m ½ tempted to buy the equipment myself.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    We defiantly need to find someone we can routinely count on. It’s such and ass whipping every time I need to get tires messed with, I’m ½ tempted to buy the equipment myself.
    Well it just so happened I stopped by a Northern Tool location today. The purpose of the visit was to look for a tire changing rig. They just finished building the store so I thought it would be well stocked. Well it was well stocked as they had not opened yet. They said to come back Saturday. Well anyway I see on their website they have an electric tire changing machine but it is $2k. Now that is tempting but I was looking for something more in the $100-$200 range. You know something you Team CB members would buy. I was just thinking a 10 foot pole on a manual machine would mount a Kumho or Hoosier. It sure would be handy for flipping tires to get the full life out of them. Paying $40+ for flipping is expensive when we already shelled out the big money for Hoosiers.

I think Terranova has the manual machine from Harbor Freight. He said it worked ok for steal rims. I have not tried one. I have seen Denny Frickenfast change a Camaro rim with just hand tools at an event site. Aluminum rim. He said you don't do it that way in the winter as the tire needs to be hot and worn.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Geez, and I was bummed when Costco went from $9 a corner to $10.

(Poss, you handled that admirably. Always remember the words of Phil Connors: "Don't drive angry!")

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace

(Poss, you handled that admirably. Always remember the words of Phil Connors: "Don't drive angry!")
    "You're not a bad driver for a quadraped."

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Quote Originally Posted by redmenace

"You're not a bad driver for a quadraped."
    The quadraped note is also from Phil Connors.

Groundhog Day

Very funny movie... I highly suggest it.

Groundhog Day

Are you talking to the voices in your head again?

Chassis Designer

i've got a couple of tire changers at the family ranch. on stock wheels they work alright, but on my 17's you can't use them, takes some special fancy european tire changer or some crap. in a podunk town like temple there's only a couple of places that even have them. the nearest discount tire is in killeen or waco (both almost half an hour away). i also have one of those electronic tire balancers too. never used that though. too bad i'm so far south of y'all or you could just come out and use mine. i wouldn't mind in the least.
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Groundhog Day

Are you talking to the voices in your head again?
    Shhh....fellas hold it down... POS is trying to say something... :P

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Say... is Tribe-in' insinuating that I'm some sort of postwhore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast