View Poll Results: Can your mattress kill you?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't know but my foam is going in the trash

0 0%
  • I don't know but my foam is going on ebay/craigslist

0 0%
  • hell no, (I hope that I'm right and didn't waste my money)

3 12.50%
  • I would rather eat cheese than sleep on foam

21 87.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can your mattress kill you?

Default Can your mattress kill you?

Blah blah blah!

How ironic that thegoogle ads on that page when I opened it were for temperpedic.

Nice... :)

Tempurpedic: The most highly recommended killing device in the world... BUWAHAHAHAHA!!!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Can your Miata cause cancer?!

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

After 3 years, I found that my memory foam mattress was Kaput. I swapped it out for a hard side waterbed that I purchased from Merv. No more back pain and my bed is always warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

It should be noted that my memory foam mattress was not a Tempur Pedic and did not feel like one in the begining. I never expected that much out of it, but bought it stricly for the adjustable base, which is sitting in my spare bedroom collecting dust.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Driver

you can pry my foam mattress from cold dead hands. I built a "cheaperpedic" a few years ago and every time I'm on vacation coming home to my nice firm foam bed is so rewarding.

My mattress is one of the cheaper mid-range ones with an unpronounceable name from IKEA. No foam. After sleeping on a futon for 5 years, it feels like heaven. One of these days I'll get a pillowtop for it and it'll be even better.
    "The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

i have a pillowtop 'traditional' mattress from sleep experts that we bought this past summer. First mattress i've bought for myself to my tastes (FIRM). I love it. I tried some of the memory foam mattresses but for the price they didn't seem any better to me. Plus, they are heat sensitive, and i always feel hot to begin with. From what i hear, thats a recipe for making one miserable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I prefer to get my memory foam from China.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Wife hate memory foam. We tried it and she was not coforatable because of the heat issue. We have a Sleep number bed now and we both love it. Each side is a seperate air bladder and can be adjusted to individual tastes.

[/quote] black roadster "I prefer to get my memory foam from China." [/quote]

I didn't know they made beds with lead...
    Blah blah blah!

I had one of those Select Discomfort/Sleep number mattresses. That was the only bed that after three years, I went to the bedding store and bought one and brought it home the very same day. My back hurt worse on that mattress than any other I ever had and I could not keep from rolling into the middle durring the night.

I got a freebie mattress that ended up being too firm, so I topped it with a Sam's Club memory foam pad - made in China, complete with Engrish instructions. Per these instructions, I had to let it unfurl and "outgas" for a couple of days and, yes, it did stink like a chemical plant. But I gotta say that after a few months, it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had. Twenty years from now I may come down with Memory Foam AIDS or something, but as long as I'm comfy I really don't care...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I laid on a memory foam bed in the store, but I keep slowly sinking. I can just imagine me trying to go to sleep and I keep thinking...

I'm sinking.
    I'm still sinking.
    Yep, still sinking.
    Crap, I have to itch, so that will start the sinking all over again.
    Ignore the itch.
    Still sinking.
    Ignore the itch.
    Still sink... crap, that damn itch. I'll scratch.
    Starting sinking over, again.
    Still sinking.
    Too awake now., Guess I'll go watch TV. Kill me.

BTW, I have slept on a sleep number and really liked it. I will probably get one, next.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    you can pry my foam mattress from cold dead hands.
    I second this notion.
    "Fast cars are my only vice."

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    BTW, I have slept on a sleep number and really liked it. I will probably get one, next.
    You want to try one out before you buy. I still have my old full sized select discomfort in storage. It's the classic model with wired remotes.

BTW, the only difference between the full and the queen is the size of the outer cover and the amount of foam they stuff on the sides and middle. I know this because my parrent used to have the queen size.

We've had a queen-sized Tempurpedic bed for the last 3 1/2 years. My wife loves it, I'm kind of ambivalent about it. My biggest gripe is the heat trapping bit - it is rather warm to sleep on in the summer.

As for asthma/allergies - my wife has moderate asthma and severe allergies. Neither has been affected one way or another by the change from a traditional mattress to a Tempurpedic one. Nor did we notice any kind of strange chemical smells emanating from the mattress when we first got it.

Would I recommend it? Personally, no. I sleep as well or better upstairs on the twelve year old $500 conventional mattress on the guest room as I do on our bed. Plus, the real Tempurpedic mattresses are expensive - I think we paid over $3k for ours originally? But my wife swears by it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I sleep as well or better upstairs on the twelve year old $500 conventional mattress on the guest room as I do on our bed.
    Sent up there a lot, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Sent up there a lot, huh?
    With a kid on the way I'm thinking she isn't sending him upstairs often enough......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast