Thread: Extended Studs

Default Extended Studs

Fuuuuuuu.. I keep hearing that its unreasonably difficult to install these on the rear, I hear word "grinder" and all I hear is "disaster"

Someone help me.. Refer me to someone that can install the rears for me, or at least can assist me.

Miata Luv,
    Justin

Aren't you selling the Miata to get a Honda???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Aren't you selling the Miata to get a Honda???
    Read whats last been posted on that thread. This is for MY miata. The one being sold is a friends.

I had to change one of my rear studs and I had to grind to do it. Like you, I was intimindated, but the ended up being a much small job than I anticipated. You can't even see the grind.

Hmm.. what kind of grinder did you use, thats what Im lacking.

Why are you having to use a grinder?

Cant you just tighten the stud using the lug nuts?
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by tsxser View Post
    Hmm.. what kind of grinder did you use, thats what Im lacking.
    I can't remember if I used by Dremmel-type grinder or my air-powered 3" grinder, but if you do not have one, then go buy a Dremmel (I have the Black and Decker equivalent from Walmart that was much cheaper).

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    Why are you having to use a grinder?

Cant you just tighten the stud using the lug nuts?
    In order to back the stud out, you have to grind away a small portion of your (IIRC) brake shield so you have have clearence.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    In order to back the stud out, you have to grind away a small portion of your (IIRC) brake shield so you have have clearence.
    Why wouldn't you just grind the stud??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Why wouldn't you just grind the stud??
    IIRC, then I would not be able to get the new one in.

I remember Michael "Miataspeed" had done this at Hallett last year i believe or maybe the year before. There is one spot on the rear that you can take out the studs. (I wasn't there the whole time, he may have used a bar to bend the metal piece you are talking about. When I did mine the hubs and spindles weren't in the car they were out completely.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I remember Michael "Miataspeed" had done this at Hallett last year i believe or maybe the year before. There is one spot on the rear that you can take out the studs. (I wasn't there the whole time, he may have used a bar to bend the metal piece you are talking about. When I did mine the hubs and spindles weren't in the car they were out completely.
    Yeah, a few said they didnt have to grind at all, which confuses me. Im gonna buy a grinder from Harbour Freight and use it just in case.