Thread: Electric Gremlin

Default Electric Gremlin

A friends 1990 has an electric problem. I sold him the car so I am trying to help him get it fixed. The car runs fine and when you put it in reverse it dies. Runs fine and you turn the lights on it dies. Hit the brakes it dies. The car is out at MSR (the guy works for the Maxwell race team). I would trade a session or two as my guest for someone to track the problem dwon and fix it. He says the ground strap is secure and we have changed the CAS.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

That's a new one to me...

I have a stock 1990 5sp ECU and MAF laying around for testing purposes if you/he wanted to give those a shot. Both worked when I pulled them from my car 7 years ago. I've used the ECU to troubleshoot other cars over the years, but the last time was almost 4 years ago..

have you tried swapping the alternator to see if it makes a difference? Had similar problems in a Honda of that era but not as severe.
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.

I thought you were taliking about one of these:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

don't put gas in the car after midnight 0_o

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    don't put gas in the car after midnight 0_o
    Hehehe ...or run it through a car wash.

I thought this was going to be about a homemade electric vehicle. Ya'll tried a new battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I thought you were taliking about one of these:
    i was expecting an electric powered one of these too..... i'm disappointing, lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chassis Designer

I realize you indicated that the ground strap was secure, but it sounds like a grounding problem to me, as if the electirical power is searching for a ground when you use electircal devices. My suggestion would be to ensure that the engine is grounded to the frame. Either check the braided ground strap or install a seperate wire from the engine to some place on the chassis. Good luck!

I'm inclined to think it's a lighting system ground wire shorting against an ignition or ECU signal wire. Check components common to the lighting system - wiring blocks and relays under the dash and hood, especially those that are common with engine electrical.

What was the last thing that changed on the car?

Chris

+1 on the alternator. just went through this with a new alternator.. ran fine with full charge on battery.. then hit brakes, car died, turned on lights, car died, turned on winshield wipers.. you get the picture.. got stuck over west of fw, so bought a wally world battery and ran cables across the trunk to get me home. (not recommended) had just bought the alternator from az, they tested and it wasnt putting anything out..
    95 r white