Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 in Austin, TX??????????

Default F1 in Austin, TX??????????

I just saw this too, talk about out of left field.

The article says a track will be Purpose-built for this event and that we are contracted from 2012-2021. It even has a blurb from the Mayor and our DB Gov.

I wonder where they'll build the track. My money is on the East side by the airport or Southeast by one of our Homogeneous Suburbs.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I wonder what the ticket $ will be like. Will there be TCB tickets? We need start thinking about getting in a 'group buy' on these tickets!
    Gabriel

I'm thinking group buy of a cheap house close to the new facility and rent it out for the race(s) events.

I know people in Bristol, TN that make more than their yearly mortgage by renting out their house on race weekend. Then again, houses in TN are a bit cheaper....

They should use a road course Downtown for the first year, we close Downtown most weekends for foot races anyway.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Sweet!!! I hope it happens and I can get tickets.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

F1 is the soccer of auto sports. Most Americans don't like watching it.

I hope it works though because that means a new track in Texas to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    F1 is the soccer of auto sports. Most Americans don't like watching it.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I wonder if I can book free nights at La Quinta now?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I just saw this as well. I don't know if I'm more excited about F1 races to attend or the other 51 weeks out of the year that the track will be open to schmucks like us to use. There's certainly something cool about bombing around a purpose-built F1 track.

I'm truly excited about this! Not only another potential track venue for Texas, but I haven't seen an F1 race live since my parents took me to one of the Dallas Grand Prixs when I was a kid. This should be awesome!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Default Do you believe this!!!???? Formula 1 in Texas???? Austin????

Sorry.. didn't see the original post...

I was in Dallas in 84 for the GP... my last attended F1 race.... This isn't gonna suck..... I was 11 and still remember like it was yesterday...
    Last edited by jmcshiner; 05-25-2010 at 04:44 PM.

I sooooo wish this would actually come to fruition. I'm a skeptic, though...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

This is so awesome. I was lucky enough to go to all the races at Indy (including 2005 ). I will make the yearly trip to Austin with pleasure to see F1 live again.

This is so exciting! I was freaking out when I read about it at work today.

So in 2yrs they're gonna have a completed race track? That seems like a pretty tight timeline, so i'm guessing we'll know the official location sooner than later. I'm guessing east of the airport, possibly by the new 130 Toll Road area.

Best part, my in-laws live 20 minutes south of Austin. Can't wait. I WILL be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Best part, my in-laws live 20 minutes south of Austin. Can't wait. I WILL be there.
    So ... are they going to host the TCB B&B for the DFW TCBs? I am sure OneThing can pitch a tent or two in their backyard! Wow, another sleep over and going to F1 race. PRICELESS!
    Gabriel

With a condo in New Braunfels, I think I like this on many levels.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to having a formula 1 race so close.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Looks like the deal is further along in development than they first mentioned.

Land is under contract, permits have been permitted and track designer Herrman Tilke is already at bat.

Tilke designing Austin track, site already purchased

Thank God.

Chris

Awesome, I can't wait to see the first race.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast