Thread: FS - early FM2 1.6l manifold

Default FS - early FM2 1.6l manifold

Selling my old FM2 T2 flanged turbo manifold. Fits the 1.6l motor. I had a GT2554, GT2560, and a few others on it.

- FM says their newer downpipes will fit, as does BEGi I believe (I would double check BEGi though).
    - Since it's the earlier version, the 4 corners are thicker than they need to be. As such, you will need longer studs/bolts for them. I have 2 of FM's "special" allen-head bolts left, but you will need to get 2 more. You should be able to get longer studs from NAPA for cheap, or pick up some of FM's bolts.
    - The 4x 8mm studs in it have good threads and have held tight. 2 or 3 of the holes were HeliCoiled within the first month I put it on my car, but I have had zero issues with any of those bolts since then.
    - I had to clearance grind a tiny bit off in a small spot to fit a larger turbo, but it is barely noticeable (maybe 2mm deep). The manifold is still stupid thick in that area, so no worries there.
    - The heatshield bolt is in the dumbest spot ever. And the hole goes completely through the manifold. If you remove the bolt, you have a nice little exhaust leak. If you put it all the way in, you will have a small bolt in the airflow just inches from the turbine. I have it backed out just flush with the inside, so there is no risk of it breaking off and getting sucked into the turbo.
    - This has been on and off my car for years. I've owned it since 2003, but I've been using it as a backup manifold the last 5 or 6 years while I was playing around with other setups. It is a very solid workhorse-type manifold: it certainly won't get you the most power, but you will NEVER have to worry about it cracking on you.

I would love to get $200 for it, but cash talks. Fairly open to trades, Miata related or not, but I like cash better

Re: the heat shield bolt hole and design. Stupid, yes.

My recommendations
    Step 1: Throw the heat shield away.
    Step 2: Cut the bolt off a little shorter.
    Step 3: Apply a little JB Weld to the bolt threads and insert put it back in the manifold to seal the hole.

1. The heatshield never made it onto the car. I made my own, which seemed to work better than friends using the FM piece.
    2 and 3. I've wanted to sell the entire FM setup since the day I put it on the car, so I was trying to keep everything as-is. For some reason, most FM'ers seem to leave everything alone no matter how bad it actually is, so I didn't want to "convince" anyone that what I changed was a good idea. After I started replacing everything else, that bolt just fell off my radar. I honestly forgot all about it till I took the manifold off the car for the last time ever.

That said, the new owner is more than welcome to do whatever s/he wants to that bolt

Yeah, I don't think FM really cared for that shield either. You'll note that the FM2 that they designed has a very different heat shield.