Thread: Start button

Default Start button

Anybody put a Moss red start button in the cig lighter hole and if so is it hard? I looked at instructions but I are dumb.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

I still don't see the point. You still have to put the key in the ignition and turn it, WHY????

Droptop has done it, bet he'll give you a detailed description....
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I think a retinal scanner would be way cooler...

Or... have an RFID tag implanted, and put a reader in the car... Imagine... you could just walk up to the car and the doors would unlock. Sit in the driver's seat, push in the clutch, and it would fire up!

Maybe a surplus bar code scanner and a visit to the local tattoo parlor? Now that would be cool. :P

Personally, I don't get the whole "insert key and then hit a separate starter button" thing, but I'm not a big fan of tampering with the wiring in a car to begin with.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I tried to put one in, just for the effect. WHo knows maybe I am a ricer in hiding. Anyway, the previous owner had an ignition kill in the car. FOr some reason the two didnt like each other and now the button just sits in the car for the look. I dont know what to replace it with, maybe a LED of some sort... Either way, I am glad now, I am sure it would be a pain in the ass after a while.

I like it.

I have instructions to wire it up somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.

It's just a fun factor. No purpose really but it's a conversation piece. It doesn't get old for me. YMMV.

Mine is a lighted Ignited starter button, similar to the StooK button.

I wired the ground for the light to the ebrake so it's light only when the ebrake is set.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

OH yeah, I got mine from HandA it is a real S2k button. It is light, and I had it wired into the hand brake to turn the light on and off.

Here and here are Miata.net instructions.

Other than that, I have some decent instructions for a 94-97 install. Not sure if it's different for other model years.

I live in East Plano if you want some help.

Edited by moderator so that hyperlinks work
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I think a retinal scanner would be way cooler...

Or... have an RFID tag implanted, and put a reader in the car... Imagine... you could just walk up to the car and the doors would unlock. Sit in the driver's seat, push in the clutch, and it would fire up!
    new bmw 7 series has that option, kinda cool but waaay not necissary.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Maybe a surplus bar code scanner and a visit to the local tattoo parlor? Now that would be cool. :P

Personally, I don't get the whole "insert key and then hit a separate starter button" thing, but I'm not a big fan of tampering with the wiring in a car to begin with.
    Without even clicking on the link I knew where you were going!!

Easy boyz... it's a little bling to make some folks happy. Don't get yer knickers in a twist over it, or I'll make you take off your auto-dimming mirrors, shiny add-on trim rings, and fancy "non-stock" shift knobs.

And besides, which is more useless -- a purdy red START button or a cigarette lighter for someone that doesn't smoke?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

If you're not a smoker, then the coolest "kill" switch you can put in the car is to require the lighter to be pressed in to start it... Details or on the pointy board somewhere... I think they've even worked out the right relay to put in that the lighter will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    If you're not a smoker, then the coolest "kill" switch you can put in the car is to require the lighter to be pressed in to start it... Details or on the pointy board somewhere... I think they've even worked out the right relay to put in that the lighter will still work.
    That is a very cool idea! I may need to look into that... once I figure out what I did with my lighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Easy boyz... it's a little bling to make some folks happy. Don't get yer knickers in a twist over it, or I'll make you take off your auto-dimming mirrors, shiny add-on trim rings, and fancy "non-stock" shift knobs.
    What if you don't have any of that useless crap? :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

auto dimming mirrors..... Where do I get those? I really want some... :P
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

But... if you replace your cigarette lighter with a starter button, where will you plug in your cell phone charger or power inverter to run a laptop?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    But... if you replace your cigarette lighter with a starter button, where will you plug in your cell phone charger or power inverter to run a laptop?
    I have a seperate three-way power outlet under the dash.
    ...and across the line.

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    I like it.
    Me, too. The only thing I'll replace my START button with is one that says "Go, Baby, Go"....if I can find one (nyah...won't be hooked up to a nitrous system, though )
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'