Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I buy this car?

What class are you planning on racing it in?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52 View Post
    What class are you planning on racing it in?
    I guess it depends if he puts a racing clutch in this on, too.

Driver

Likely T-CS for now.

nice!
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

NO!!! DON'T BUY IT!! j/k. Looks like you got a great deal. welcome to the NB club. If you want to get some practice working on an NB feel free to swing by my place, mine still needs a lot of TLC
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

Driver

Found the original window sticker stuffed in a book in the glove box today. Might have been a one owner car.

Suspension looks stock, getting a P0402 code (common EGR code, so I'll get that cleaned up here lickity split), oil leak on the valve cover. Shimmys at 30-65mph, which I can only imagine being the balance of the tires. Wear on the inside of the right rear tire. I think it needs an alignment too.

So far it's been fun :) Too bad the wife keeps taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I don't think any Miatae ever came with OEM power locks.
    All my Miatae have had OE power locks. Next time don't buy a base model.

the codes are easy fixes and one wont even require any money. timing belt and acc. belts and waterpump are something you should do anyways and only about 200 shipped, fluids are easy fix. sean, bring your miata to me at tcc and we'll align it and get some things out of the way in a jiffy. the valve cover gasket comes with the waterpump/timing belt/acc belt/tensionor and all others necessary for the job, and only takes a couple hours to do. we can also diagnose exactly why your throwing a cat code and whats up with that alternator.

Driver

Thanks for the offer.

I've already cleared the codes, took care (so far) of the EGR code (cleaned the intake manifolds gnarly passage), replaced the valve cover gasket (twice, tore the first one, the post I followed didn't talk about moving the coil pack, grr), changed the spark plugs, wires, oil, transmission and rear end fluids.

I have tires on order and am still deciding what I want to do suspension wise (and it needs it badly). TCC is like 60+ miles away from me, so unless you just want to align my car for practice

The cat code popped up again last night. I'd gotten a whiff of "dead cat" on the way home, so I can only assume that it's on it's way out (especially considering how crappy the old spark plugs were). This would not be it's first cat replacement by the looks of things.

If I decide to go STR, then I'd end up with a header, replacement cat and exhaust. I just have to plan accordingly, so I might live with the code (as long as I can get it to pass inspection next month).

im not asking for money just lending an experienced hand, especially since i've just done all the same as you very recently. this is chad sean. your favorite ntec member. i'll even help you install your harddog bar and know a quick way to do so. you didnt replace that top yet right? hold off on the top till you do the bar, its quite a pain in the ass doing install with the top on. i even have some nicknacks and parts that will come in handy for you in the near future seeing as what went out on my miata LOL, plus a buckets worth of screws and bolts.

what about that alternator code?

my suspension has 105k miles on it and after my runs at msr the struts are even worse LOL, so im going with some tokiko struts and shocks. have you checked out the SPAZ 28 way adjustables? and see had you have contacted me i have an extra valve cover gasket here it just needs a bit more rtv peeled off of it, but brand new...its hanging in my garage so everytime i pull in i take a bit off as i walk by lol.
    Last edited by imsuchanoob; 05-26-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Driver

Man those "fancy" wheels on there (Enkei PKR) are boat anchors. 17 pounds each! Yowza.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12