Thread: Yeller90 cranky no go, then go, then cranky no go, now go again

Default Yeller90 cranky no go, then go, then cranky no go, now go again

Weird thing, following the wife in our 90, it stalled at a stop sign, then went about a mile quit again would not start, luckily in front of the house. being late for a party, i looked at gas gage, said 1/4 made me go hmmm, wondered if the fuel gage was reading incorrect (has not before). being late, pushed it into driveway, grabbed gas can and went to party, came back, put two gallons of fuel in it and it cranked right up. Made me think the fuel gage was wonky. Took it for a spin, drove great power, normal revs all good, stopped to talk to a friend, shut it off. got back in 15 minutes later and again, crank not start.. popped hood checked and wiggled connectors and relays and fuses, still no start. went back under hood did all the magic wand waving and wire wiggling then as an answered prayer it started up. Ran fine all the way home, went down and did another test start, fired right up.

Anyone had this happen?

I had no tools at the time to check if it was either I had no spark or no fuel during the events, however I am leaning towards maybe no fuel because as much as I cranked it, if it was dumping fuel, when it started it should have missed or backfired possibly for a moment. But it did not, it started smooth a nothing was going wrong.

And yes for no particular reason, I am blaming the wife!!!
    Father and son project car with a FM 2.5 suspension.

Fuel pump having issues? or possibly the starter solenoid. I had a car with a bad solenoid once and it would do something similar.
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

You may want to check and see if it stored a code.

Here is a decent writeup on how you check and OBD1 Miata - http://www.miata.net/garage/faultcodes.html

Duh, I did not think to look for a code. Thanks I will look at that tonight.

Chassis Designer

Well, I'm certianly no expert, but it sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. Fuel pump and fuel filter would be my first things to check.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by shortshift View Post
    Well, I'm certianly no expert, but it sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. Fuel pump and fuel filter would be my first things to check.
    I was going to say, it may sound stupid but I'd replace the fuel filter, or atleast take it off and try to blow through it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortshift View Post
    and fuel pump relay of course.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

damndest thing,was doing some troubleshooting by jumping the connections in the diagnostic connector, everything checked out, now the car runs fine, scary, would rather have a total failure than a gremlin