Thread: Storm Woes

Default Storm Woes

The house was struck by lightning last night. It popped a few circuit breakers and a GDFI. All my computers and TVs were protected and came through fine, but the networking gear did not come through so well. I have 2 separate P2P wireless antennas on the roof and it seems that the radios for them were fried, even though the power for both of them were plugged in to UPS boxes. One of them even managed to fry the UPS protected wireless router that was plugged in to it, so I suspect the lightning actually contacted the antenna and traveled through the CAT 5 in to the router.

Anyone else suffer any damage?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry to hear that Titus. No damage here....electrical or other.

Lucky it didnt take out anything that was wired to the computer. At the restaurant last year there was a pretty close lightning strike. The computers were protected but one $15 network switch wasn't. It took out the network cards on several computers. Luckily that is all it did, the motherboards were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Lucky it didnt take out anything that was wired to the computer. At the restaurant last year there was a pretty close lightning strike. The computers were protected but one $15 network switch wasn't. It took out the network cards on several computers. Luckily that is all it did, the motherboards were fine.
    Yep... all computers connect to the routers via wireless and get power via a UPS. I am not sure if there is a way to protect the routers from a surg from the antenna through the cat 5 like I experienced.

No damage but a much needed rain was welcome. It was nice being able to sit out on the covered patio and enjoy the cooler weather a glass of wine.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

No damage here. We have some severe winds at the office right before I left.

No damage over here in G-Town, just some much-needed soaking rain.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

My car smells a bit like mildew, does that count?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Yep... all computers connect to the routers via wireless and get power via a UPS. I am not sure if there is a way to protect the routers from a surg from the antenna through the cat 5 like I experienced.
    There is, but they cost more than routers, AFAIK, and are one time use...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Lightning is weird and unpredictable. We took some serious damage at my grandfather's house about five years ago. Final tally; lightning 1-house alarm/internet router 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Lightning is weird and unpredictable. We took some serious damage at my grandfather's house about five years ago. Final tally; lightning 1-house alarm/internet router 0.
    Could it be genetic?
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    There is, but they cost more than routers, AFAIK, and are one time use...
    What frequency do the P2P radios run on? THESE GUYS likely have something, but as TC mentioned... not exactly cheap...

I use them on my amateur radio repeater and so far (crossing fingers) despite a few hits on the tower, the radio is still going.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Yeah, our house was hit last year. The strike took out the Verizon distribution box, my alarm system, and both air conditioning units.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw