Thread: To zip or not to zip, that is the question

Default To zip or not to zip, that is the question

Currently exploring options for a new soft top for some time in the not so distant future. given our heat etc, I am pretty much decided that a plastic window is out of the question. I am pretty much convinced it will be glass. My question is about zippered. What is the purpose of the zippered glass?

The only reason I have ever unzipped my window (it's plastic btw) is when I locked my keys in the car. I actually used to lock my keys in it on purpose a lot, so I can't tell you how much having the zipper worked for me. Other than that, I can't really see a reason to have it either...maybe if you ever need to put something fairly long in the car?
    Last edited by Rob®; 08-10-2010 at 11:08 AM.

i need the zippered due to the brace behind the seats. if you dont have any conflicts with braces or roll bars, i wouldnt go zip..

glass is great.. very clear and a little quieter
    95 r white

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you want glass, skip the zipper.

I hate my zipper but as far as I know my top is factory. It won't go down unless you unzip it first.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    i need the zippered due to the brace behind the seats. if you dont have any conflicts with braces or roll bars, i wouldnt go zip..

glass is great.. very clear and a little quieter
    Yea make sure you keep that in mind if you plan to add a roll bar later down the line you could have clearance issues with the glass window. I had a glass window on my '92 that wouldn't allow for a roll bar due to it's size. It was a zip out style BTW.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 08-10-2010 at 10:05 AM.

If you're going with glass, skip the zipper. I've unzipped my glass window exactly once. When it came time to zip it back up, I spent 45 minutes cussing at it before I got the zipper started.

BTW, I've got a Robbins top with a glass window and it clears my Hard Dog M2 Sport just fine (it's very close, but it does clear with no problem). It also cleared the stock brace behind the seats. However, it's made for the NB (all of which had glass), and I think that's your only roll bar choice if you decide to go that route.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

yeah, sorry, my comments above refer to an NA.

if you have specific issues or concerns with yours, i would give john long a call down in austin. (512) 864-3022 he knows what works with what and can save you some aggravation..
    95 r white

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I hate my zipper but as far as I know my top is factory. It won't go down unless you unzip it first.
    Then it's not factory. Karate chop it in the middle as you fold it down so it doesn't get the vertical crease going, and never touch the zipper. Some people buy pool noodles and cut them to fit, some pay stupid money for that thing from Moss, most realize you don't need anything like that if you put the top down correctly.

Unless you have a glass window...which I am pretty sure they didn't have in 91.

Well it's got a glass window. I'm thinkin about going to a different top now it's starting to come apart at the seams in some spots.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it very much.