Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally picked up my Miata

Default Finally picked up my Miata

Hey guys, I finally sold the Protege5 today and picked up this bad boy.

Specs: '90 Miata, 5 speed, 1.6L, pearl white paint exterior, black interior, 93k miles, one previous owner.

I've done an oil change, coolant flush, thermostat, transmission fluid, differential, AND brake fluid change today. Took a couple hours but it was fun getting to know my car. I gotta say that the coolant flush made a big difference, I used distilled water and red coolant along with Royal Purple radiator additive, the gauge now stays at below half all day even with the A/C running. Much better than my fluctuating gauge before. I also put Royal Purple 75W-90 in the tranny and diff. I also installed my Alpine headunit.

First car wash today. For some reason my lens was fogging up but these will do for now.

Needs a few things, shift boot, clay bar, and passenger window fix (I can hear the motor but the window won't move) but otherwise it's perfect. I installed NGK spark plugs today and it runs even better now.

Congratulations on the new car. Looks real good.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Congrats! Have fun with it!
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Nice!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

+1 on what CHeavin_2006 said.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Congrats and enjoy!

Congrat's on a very nice looking car.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Congrats!

Low miles and the paint looks great. Good find!
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

What a beauty. Congrats.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Congrats. Car looks clean, enjoy it!
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Your paint looks a lot better than the paint on the white 1990 I had!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

The car has been repainted, pearl white wasnt a factory color. either way though, i really love it.

Nice! A great example of a clean 90. Looking forward to seeing it in person!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Nice ride! Super clean. Now go get her dirty...

Detail pics:

Very nice looking car!

Since you sound like you're pretty handy mechanically, whats the story on the timing belt? When was it replaced? If you don't know you may want to replace it, if it was done recently then just verify the crank pulley bolt was done correctly using 90lbs of tq. and lock tight. The '90's and early '91's had a small crank nose and if not maintained properly could loosen up causing damage to the nose and the key-way. Note: the original shop manual called for 120lbs of tq. but that has been revised to using only 90lbs. and lock tight, as the smaller crank bolts would stretch causing premature failure . I put many miles on my old '90 model and never had a problem with the crank nose, but I checked the torque every year.

The funny thing is my '97 Miata with the large crank nose is the car that ended up throwing a crank pulley because I failed to check it after I swapped out a transmission. I had used the crank bolt to keep the engine from rotating when I torqued up a the new clutch. I apparently loosened the crank bolt and didn't re-torque after the transmission job. It took over a year for the failure to happen...my bad
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Chassis Designer miata_B_racing's Avatar

Check the vin # the earlier models had SNC and later are the same as the 1.8L Mat V
    Your example is almost the spitting image of our 91 when we got her. in Dec 09. Same
    exact split in the front lower bumper. As well as non working passenger window. And
    it had to be held up with a piece of cardboard box. 112K miles unknown timing belt change
    and or anything else being changed - No past history on the car at All. Today, Just about 9
    months since purchase the car still has never even been washed. It stays covered nearly
    all the time it's not being driven. This will keep your car looking good if you do not have a
    garage to park her in. Nice looking ride though ! Just like the other poster said check that
    belt and also the vin for SNC model....

miata_B_racing
    Teflon Window guide Kits for the Miata Nation -

His car is a '90 model. All '90's had the short nose crank, checking vin's doesn't apply until '91 whereby there was a change mid year with regards to the crank. And, IIRC there are three different nose options: short nose, long nose and big nose of which the 1.8L's had.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Chassis Designer miata_B_racing's Avatar

True , I respect that, but the vin # on the frame and motor will reveal any engine swap it may
    or may not have had during past life..... All 90's were in deed SNC motors. Ours is a later
    model 91 so it's not SNC. I was only refering to the 1.8 L because they are all the same no
    mid season change motor wise.

miata_B_racing soon
    Teflon Window guide Kits for the Miata Nation -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast