Thread: OEM Steering Wheel (NA)

Default OEM Steering Wheel (NA)

Has anyone come across a decent kit for replacing the leather on the steering wheel of and NA??

I see the add on kits, but what I would like is to replace the old with new.

Does such a kit exist?

Yes it does... I bought one off of Ebay and it looks to be a good product. I believe I paid about $60 for it and it came with the leather sown in a loop with thread holes already present, thread, and a needle. I had a spare wheel so I tore the leather off it and compared the new piece to the old... They obviously used the OEM leather as a pattern. They estimated 4-8 hours for the install, and after looking at it I am not surprised. One of these days I will actually put the work in. They also offer a service where you send them the wheel and they do it all for you, but they wanted WAY too much money for that.

You happen to recall who you got it from?

I was thinking about trying to find a used OEM steering wheel in better shape than the one I got but the newest OEM NA wheel would be at least 13 years old.....

POS, I have a spare leather wheel you can have, but the leather needs to be replaced.

I decided to replace mine with a Momo wheel. My airbag module went out, so it was an easy decision to go with the Momo wheel. Also, I am not for sure I want to get hit with a 1st generation airbag.

I called a place in Rockwall about recovering my OEM wheel (before the airbag module went out)and they wanted $250 which was more than I wanted to spend recovering the kleenex box steering wheel.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

This guy:
    http://stores.ebay.com/ALAN-GUN-LEATHER-ACCESORIES

It took me almost 2 months to get it from him, as the first one seemed to get lost in the mail. It was a pain, but he was always very responsive to my emails.

When I asked about about their turn-key solution, I got this back:
    Yes we do that work and just made one today
    We charge 265.00 plus shipping 33.00
    complete all sewing/new leather back to new oe specs
    YOu can see more of our work at myspace.com/aglausa
    Mostly german cars but shows you what we do
    I think there is a nardi miata wheel we did at that page
    Feel free to call me at 1.800.780.4500 or 954.474.4277
    Or if you are ready to send it -you can to the following address

AGLA
    7027 West broward blvd
    Plantation Florida
    33317 USA
    Thanks
    A Gun

- aglausa
    I also contacted a company called Craft Customs located in Rockwall, TX and got this response:
    Thanks for your inquiry! Since 1991, we have been the leader in upholstering, customizing, repairing, restoring and decorating steering wheels, dashes and interior parts for every make and model of car and truck.

The cost to reupholster your steering wheel to factory new leather specifications is $250 plus shipping and tax, or no shipping if you pick it up. All of our work, quality and materials are guaranteed, and meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications. Turnaround is 1 week. We will get your credit card information to take care of payment prior to starting your job. Then, when your job is complete and ready, we will call to notify you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Carter
    www.craftcustoms.com
    214-564-1170
    892 Steger Towne Rd., #59
    Rockwall, Texas 75032

Craft Customs in Rockwall is the place I called also. You can use my spare steering wheel while you have yours recovered if you decide to go that route.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I was able to find a junkyard oem wheel with perfect leather for my NA. A lot of miatas lived in garages, so its not unheard-of to find a good leather wheel. Mine came from Mazda Heaven, $40 2 years ago. I'll bet a little searching will yield another. I think motorollow's is my old one, so it would be pretty rough on the top side.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Sorry to threadjack, but for the people who have simply replaced their steering wheels with a Momo or any other non-airbag type wheel. Is that losher with inspections? If the car had/has airbags will they ding you for disabling or removing it?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP1964 View Post
    Sorry to threadjack, but for the people who have simply replaced their steering wheels with a Momo or any other non-airbag type wheel. Is that losher with inspections? If the car had/has airbags will they ding you for disabling or removing it?
    Not a problem with state inspection. The problem is with SCCA autocross rules for Stock and ST classes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Not a problem with state inspection. The problem is with SCCA autocross rules for Stock and ST classes.
    Good to know. I don't really plan on racing etc so not really concerned in that regard. The Kleenex box wheel on mine needs to go. Been thinking about the NB wheel swap.

If you guys are still calling people, a few Zers I know used http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com and love them. Actually, quite a bit of Zers can't speak highly enough of them.