Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Open Road Adventure Rally - don't miss this one!

Default The Open Road Adventure Rally - don't miss this one!

The September 18 Open Road Adventure Rally will run partly on the historic BANKHEAD HIGHWAY, an early transcontinental road built in the teens and 20’s, yes, even before Route 66. It ran from Washington, DC to and San Diego. It was part of the National Auto Trail system and now the Texas Historic Highway is part of the new state Historic Roads and Highways Program. The BANKHEAD had a Southern route through Texas, and believe it or not, there are parts of the Road left in drivable condition around Weatherford. If you’ve ever run Route 66 or just dreamed of it, here’s your chance to run an even older Americana Highway. See historic Courthouses, 80 year old bridges, and early century gas stations on The BANKHEAD, with the fun of an Auto Rally. Rally themes include; Mountains, Ranches, Sheriffs, & The BANKHEAD.

There were three Miatas among the 44 entrants in our rally last month. Two of them came in 5th and 6th in First-Timer Class. There were seven Mazdas entered in all, more than any other marque. Let's make that 10 this time!

Register at www.tinyurl.com/ORA10msr . See the flier at www.texasscca.org/rally.html for details.

Rallymaster Bob Harris just sent me this email:
    "WOW ... Adam and I have just come back from finalizing The OPEN ROAD ADVENTURE Rally with Liz! You should see the roads that we've picked out. The mountain Vistas around Mineral Wells and Weatherford are amazing. Anyone who hasn't driven this corner of the world will be truly impressed at the beauty of it all. Combine this with the competitive Rally component that Adam and Liz have set out and it's going to be a challenging Rally; I'll bet we're talking about this one for years. I can't believe Liz is so creative in designing Rallies! Mountains, lakes, the historic 90 year old Bankhead Highway, Texas County Courthouses, windy swervy country roads, straight-aways ... this Rally has it all. It'll be a blast for anyone with a sports car or a family car.
    Anyone with FaceBook can see the page we've created with some details of the ORA Rally. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...9271087?ref=ts

I'll be surprised if this isn't the biggest Rally of the season for SCCA. Adam may even bring his DeLorean!

See you Saturday, September 18th. Bob

My Daughter and I are in!

Good luck and have fun. Been wanting to try this but they keep conflicting w/track events . One of these days I'll be in. Hopefully I can keep on course and all parts attached to the car

Miata's at Hallet is on Sept. 18.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

I'm in.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

The event we attended last had what 3 Miatas in it. No big deal.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Did someone just say "Mountain vistas" and "Mineral Wells" in the same sentence? I find that very hard too believe!
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Seriously? If we'll be driving on roads that actually go up, down, around, through, and just about any other preposition with those hills, I have a new date to complete my car.

What we call "mountains" in Texas not the same as what they call mountains in Colorado, for instance. Still, more elevation change that you can see anywhere in Ft Worth!

Default Rally to visit historic hotel

SCCA Road Rally to circle 80 year old Landmark.

One of the many sights you’ll see if you enter the SCCA sanctioned OPEN ROAD ADVENTURE is the Mineral Wells landmark “The Baker Hotel”. This impressive landmark is the tallest structure, by far, for miles around and was termed a Sky Scraper in its day.

The Baker was designed with the same architecture as the famed Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas. The hotel was a hot spot in the 30’s & 40’s for Hollywood with names like Clark Gable, Tommy Dorsey, Lucille Ball and many others traveling by car or train to relax and bathe in the mineral spring water. She opened her doors November 9, 1929 and her grand opening was November 22, 1929 just two weeks after the great stock market crash. The Baker Hotel’s front door was placed facing The Bankhead Highway, which was a testament to the importance of both. We’ll give you a few minutes on the Rally to walk the stairs up to the front door, if you’re interested in looking inside.

The hotel closed for the final time in 1972. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. A group has been put together to investigate cost and funding for redevelopment of The Baker as a top meeting and event destination hotel. It would be grand to see it open and be busy again.

You can see this grand old Hotel before the proposed $54 million renovation, while driving on the SCCA Open Road Adventure.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/08...be-reborn.html

Preregister for the rally at tinyurl.com/ORA10msr . Get more information on the rally at www.texasscca.org/ORA10flyer1.pdf .

I'm from Mineral Wells and the Baker Hotel is the most prominent structure in town. It's currently very dilapidated but as stated above there is a real effort underway to get it back to life. Over the years there has been many times that rumors have been circulated about the building come back to life. However this time seems different. It would be nice to get into the building to see it for what it is as there is still lots of old furniture and other things in the building from back in the day.

Also on a side note it is rumored that Bonnie and Clyde stayed at the Baker at one time It's also rumored the building is very haunted.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

95 r white

I do wish I could have taken a tour of the place back when they were still doing tours.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

My wife and I will be joining in for this event. It will be our first and are excited about seeing some beautiful country roads! We look forward to meeting other enthusiasts.

I will no longer be able to make it out. That is drill weekend for our reservists and all of us Active Duty guys have to be there when they are there.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by FI994k View Post
    My wife and I will be joining in for this event. It will be our first and are excited about seeing some beautiful country roads! We look forward to meeting other enthusiasts.
    Look for me and my Daughter we will be in the Yellow Miata!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I will no longer be able to make it out. That is drill weekend for our reservists and all of us Active Duty guys have to be there when they are there.
    Aw man... But we really do appreciate your service!

Hopefully we will see you at the next Rally!

I will keep my eye out for you guys. we will be in a black 99

I went on a check-run Sunday, and those rally roads are just as much fun as advertised. It's a lot like being in the Hill Country, but a lot closer to us. It's very pretty and green, hilly, and twisty. You will love it!

Are there three of you coming? Looks like either "Team Miata" or "Team Mazda" will win again (there is a 3 coming).

www.tinyurl.com/ORA10msr

Chassis Designer

man if only i could find a navigator before saturday...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast