Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would 150hp at the wheels cost?

Default How much would 150hp at the wheels cost?

Turbocharging only.

I've looked at the Voodoo Turbo (and Turbo II, since it's only $350 more) kit, but I know nothing about it. How are they reliably? That is my biggest concern.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/turbos/turbosNA8.php

They are saying 165hp (180 with the II) at the wheels WITH one of their turbo exhausts. I probably don't have the money for an exhaust, so I'm guessing the turbo kit on a stock exhaust would yield about 150hp or so?

Also, what other turbo kits are out there? Also, what about piecing together a kit from parts (that I could possibly buy from members of this site)?
    Last edited by BFPW; 08-27-2010 at 04:36 PM.

There are other options besides FM.

You could probably do something pretty cheap with a turbo exhaust manifold chinacharger turbo and maybe some power cards with larger injectors. cost maybe 1500. *But I wouldn't drive it anywhere but on the street*
    Blah blah blah!

Bell Engineering Group in San Antonio sells pretty much nothing but Miata kits........check them out.

On the question of turbo with or without a "turbo" exhaust, the main difference isn't in max hp, it's in how fast you get there. A "turbo" exhaust is more free-flowing and allows the turbo to spin up more freely (less backpressure) so you'll achieve any given level of boost at a lower RPM. Your max boost will (should) be set by you to the same level so the peak power will not vary much between the two.

Also, I know you specifically asked about 150hp and turbo only. You've probably already heard this (and maybe that's why you're looking at the turbo path), but you *will* want more than 150hp at some point so it's good to pick an option that lends itself to future upgrades easily. The Voodoo is the exact same hardware as the FM II without injectors and an ECU so the upgrade path is not only straightforward but intentiional.

You also asked about reliability. A properly set-up turbo system is no less reliable than a stock car. If you buy from a reputable vendor, reliability isn't something I'd be concerned about. IMO, the things to be concerned about are performance, cost, customer service, ease of installation/maintenance, and reputation for quality. I suggest you just pick up the phone and call a supplier or two.

Also too, I have seen USED M45 Super charger kits for sale in the $1000 range. Its a reliable kit that can produce close to 200 whp with additional upgrades; but out of the box you should easily hit 150.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by BFPW View Post
    Turbocharging only.

I've looked at the Voodoo Turbo (and Turbo II, since it's only $350 more) kit, but I know nothing about it. How are they reliably? That is my biggest concern.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/turbos/turbosNA8.php

They are saying 165hp (180 with the II) at the wheels WITH on of their turbo exhausts. I probably don't have the money for an exhaust, so I'm guessing the turbo kit on a stock exhaust would yield about 150hp or so?

Also, what other turbo kits are out there? Also, what about piecing together a kit from parts (that I could possibly buy from members of this site)?
    All of your questions can be answered on miataturbo.net.

For a DIY kit, read this: http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=4288

There is also a guy in Wylie making world-class stuff that's reliable on the track.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Bell Engineering Group in San Antonio sells pretty much nothing but Miata kits........check them out.
    Thanks!

Want me to PM Abe/ARTech contact info? Abe is very competitively priced in comparison to FM ad BEGi. You can end up with something like a sch. 40 SS manifold ad v-band connections that won't fall off after 2-laps at the track...not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    On the question of turbo with or without a "turbo" exhaust, the main difference isn't in max hp, it's in how fast you get there. A "turbo" exhaust is more free-flowing and allows the turbo to spin up more freely (less backpressure) so you'll achieve any given level of boost at a lower RPM. Your max boost will (should) be set by you to the same level so the peak power will not vary much between the two.
    Please explain/backup/justify this statement. I can show you a "few" examples of turbo cars, Miatas and not, that made 20+rwhp going from the stock exhaust to an aftermarket setup. OP is asking about stock vs an FM turbo exhaust, not an FM turbo exhaust vs a "nonturbo" FM exhaust.

does anyone know if Art Tech has a website?

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    http://www.miataturbo.net/forumdisplay.php?f=79

closest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    He does not. You should either PM me for his # or PM him on miataturbo.net. My turbo picked up more than 40-whp when I went from a stock exhaust to a 3". I recommend the 3" Enthuza with the Ansa silverline muffler and a bullet cat. You want a 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust preferably with v-bands on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Want me to PM Abe/ARTech contact info? Abe is very competitively priced in comparison to FM ad BEGi. You can end up with something like a sch. 40 SS manifold ad v-band connections that won't fall off after 2-laps at the track...not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.
    Yes, that would be great. Where are they located? And, can you put the bolded text in English please, I'm a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by BFPW View Post
    ]...can you put the bolded text in English please, I'm a noob.
    He's saying that Abe can make a manifold out of schedule 40 stainless steel that'll be very durable and for a quite reasonable cost.
    A V-band is a type of connector that's rapidly finding its way under the hoods of many tracked Miatae for its ability to not let components loosen or disconnect when subjected to high heat for extended periods of time.

Take a peek at miataturbo.net & do some reading on v-bands, stretching manifold bolts and the various materials used for turbo manifolds. There's a wealth of information on that site on these and MANY other, related topics.

...and Abe does fantastic work from what I've seen locally!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Okay, so I've realized that I'm not going to have the money to buy an actual turbokit. I've been thinking about building my own turbokit from scratch using parts from junkyards and even members on this site who have extra parts lying around. I remember one forumite suggested that I buy his downpipe, and I have been seriously thinking about it.

EDIT: I also read through the DIY thread that was posted on the previous page. All I can say is that I'm overwhelmed, lol.
    Last edited by BFPW; 08-27-2010 at 02:53 PM.

I don't know very much at all about forced induction outside of what i've read in magazines and forums, but i've always been in the same boat, looking for something small and reliable just to give the car a little more kick.

Wouldn't a small bolt on supercharger be easier and more reliable (cheaper if used??) than a junk yard setup? That way you wouldn't have to spend money messing with modified downpipes and exhaust parts and the inherant un-reliability of a thrown together system. That's always what I though anyway, small superchargers are more of a bolt on thing.

If you want big power you're going to have thousands to dump into these parts anyway.

Didn't Titus have a JRSC bolt on awhile back before his TDR setup? He took me for a spin in his car when he was putting down about 160 (IIRC) hp and that thing was pretty quick. Small enough to not really need an intercooler (or so I thought). That's the way I'd go if I ever get a decent car budget.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Didn't Titus have a JRSC bolt on awhile back before his TDR setup? He took me for a spin in his car when he was putting down about 160 (IIRC) hp and that thing was pretty quick. Small enough to not really need an intercooler (or so I thought). That's the way I'd go if I ever get a decent car budget.
    Yes, My system is based upon the small m45 Jackson Racing supercharger. I started out with the base kit that I bought used, and then slowly added to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast