Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best routing for Sub woofer wiring from head unit?

Chassis Designer miata_B_racing's Avatar

How do you know what size capacitor you need for the system ? It could be 1 microfarrad, 0.1 microfarrad, 10 microfarrad.
    So how do you figure this part out ? I have access to a store that sells surplus electronics. I take it this is a storage capacitor.
    It stores the potential energy and releases it when needed. So to speak...

jake
    Teflon Window guide Kits for the Miata Nation -

Sub looks good Kylen, It does take up a good portion of your trunk. I will post some photos of mine when it starts to come together.
    My wiring harness just so happens to match the cars colors of white and blue. Should be good to go here in a few weeks,.

jake

Luckily I have a friend who is a car audio installer so he helped me out tremendously. He said a capacitor wouldn't be necessary for my setup which is 360 watt 4 channel amp, Component speakers, 10" 4ohm sub.

Mines much smaller so I think it's overkill myself. Several people at work too said I don't have enough overall consumption of power to need a capacitor.
    I agree. I'm going to run what i brung and see what happens. Luckily I have a battery voltage monitor on the dash to keep track of output and if it starts
    to drop too low I will know when to nix the power robbers ... I think if I keep it conservative on the amplitude it will be fine. Trunk rattling bass is not what
    im looking for. A pleasing thump yes. I'm even going to try to roll with the stock headrest speakers to start out and see what sparks fly. I hope they
    hold up to the new amp and head unit.

jake

Installation is now completed, Turned out ok. So far so good. I was able to install the subwoofer in the left hand corner of the trunk
    and the amp is mounted vertical in the back of the trunk just under where the hinges would be inline with. I wanted mounting that
    would still keep most of the trunk space usable. I did remove the spare donut tire. Up in behind the spare tire mounting area
    is a spot for an umbrella or small set of clubs. I cut a hole out of this portion to allow the sound from the subwoofer to enter
    the cabin area of the car. This also allows for the wires to enter and run to the head unit. The bass reflex port is just behind the
    upper portion of the passenger seat. With the seat pulled forward an inch or so makes a huge improvement in sound.
    The bass notes now can travel into the cabin without high volume. A nice touch. I will post photos soon.

miata_B_racing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12